Student Resources

Jump to a Section

Quick Links

Obtaining a Permission Number

Students should email their requests to this permission address:

Emailed requests must contain the following:

  1. The course number "COMP_SCI __" and the phrase "permission number" in the subject line (this will be automatic if you click on the email address above).
  2. Your full name.
  3. Major and level (e.g. freshman, sophomore, etc.).
  4. Instructor's name.
  5. Your phone number (not required but useful to us if your email bounces back).

(Special note for "instructor consent" courses: Students must speak with the professor listed in CAESAR before requesting a permission number.)

 Return to Top

Enrollment/Degree Verification

For more information, see the Registrar's Enrollment Verification website.

Peer Mentor and Student Temporary Worker Onboarding

All undergraduate and masters students with a paid appointment must have a social security number and complete the I-9, employment eligibility verification, BEFORE they can begin work. Detailed instructions can be found here.

SSN Application Instructions

I-9 Instructions

Newly Hired Peer Mentors

Peer mentors work approximately six hours per week, depending upon workload and duties. There is a maximum cap of 66 hours per quarter. Peer mentors need permission from the financial team to work in excess of this cap. A justification from the instructor is required, and this is a rare occurrence. 

Please note: you are NOT allowed to work if you have not completed sections 1 and 2 of the I-9 process. No exceptions.

Section 1 is completed online. Section 2 is done by payroll or an authorized employee. If you have previously worked on campus and completed the I-9 process within the last 12 months, you will not need to do this step again. Please verify with Hailey Newell that you are still active in the system.

Social Security Numbers

All students must have a Social Security Number (SSN). Students must make an appointment at the Evanston Social Security Administration Office located on Green Bay Road.

Please visit regarding documents that you may need. You should make an appointment to visit the office by calling 1 (888) 371-0791.

If you require a letter verifying employment, please reach out to Hailey Newell for a letter.


Once you are completely onboarded, you can update your direct deposit information as well as other items such as your address, in myHR. The login credentials are your NetID and password.

Workforce Software Timekeeping (WFS) and Pay Dates

Please visit for the bi-weekly paydates.

To log hours into WFS, you must have Global Protect VPN to access the portal.

Return to Top

Payroll Questions

If you did not receive a paycheck and were supposed to:

  1. Make sure you submitted your timesheet on Workforce Software successfully (for temporary, hourly workers only).
  2. Set up direct deposit by visiting MyHR, clicking the Pay tile, and selecting the Direct Deposit tab. If your direct deposit is not set up, your paycheck will be sent to the address Northwestern has on file. To update this address, please contact HR at or (847) 491-4700.
  3. If you are a foreign national, make sure you have completed your FNIS Request Form and emailed it to
  4. If everything above is completed, then contact

NOTE: Only students with SSN’s and completed I-9’s are able to access Workforce Software and log their hours. See more information on the onboarding process below.

If you received a paycheck, but your pay was incorrect:

Please contact Hailey Newell at Hailey Newell. However, if you have a question about taxes, please contact HR at at or (847) 491-4700.

Return to Top