Faculty & Staff Internal Resources

Jump to a Section

Expense Reimbursements

Preference should always be given to working with a staff member to purchase what you need in advance rather than paying out of pocket and being reimbursed. For assistance with purchasing goods and services, contact Julia Blend. Students requiring assistance with event or travel related purchases, please contact Bella Barrios. Faculty, postdocs and research staff requiring assistance with event or travel related purchases, please contact Wynante Charles.

In the event that you must request a reimbursement, please know - tax is not reimbursable in most circumstances. When purchasing goods, supplies or food (including restaurant meals) that incur sales tax, please contact the appropriate staff member (above) to obtain a tax exempt letter prior to purchase. Present the tax exempt letter at time of purchase. When purchasing food from a restaurant, be advised that they are not required to honor the tax exempt status.

Reimbursement requests should be submitted within 30 days of purchase or, in the case of travel expenses, 30 days after you return from the trip.

Please review this checklist for other items that will be required when submitting reimbursement requests.

If you are a student, postdoc, or research staff member and need to submit an expense report, please complete this online form.

If you are a faculty member and need to submit an expense report, please submit your reimbursment to the Faculty Reimbursement Center.

CS Webmail

Access the CS webmail portal here: https://webmail.cs.northwestern.edu/

Return to Top

CS Policies and Procedures Information

Computer Science Department SharePoint


To get keys or swipecard access to a CS office, lab, or conference room in Mudd Hall, send an email request to keys@cs.northwestern.edu.

Return to Top

Payroll or Check Questions

Graduate students and research staff are paid on the last business day of each month. If you need to make adjustments to your withholding, please submit your updated tax forms to the Payroll Office at 720 University Place. Please notify the Financial Office of any changes in your employment or registration status. For supported graduate students and research staff, contact J Ratcliff

Return to Top

Purchasing and Procurement

Please send an email to Julia Blend for order requests for lab equipment and supplies. Each email must have the requisition order form attached. Please include the specifics of your order and verify the charge string with your PI prior to submitting the request. Purchases that will be charged to multiple sponsored projects require special handling. Please reach out to the Julia Blend for guidance.

The University’s Purchasing department strongly encourages ordering from an NU preferred vendor.  Visit their website at  http://www.northwestern.edu/procurement for a list of preferred vendor contacts and myHR LEARN through the NU Portal for IBuyNU marketplace ordering instructions. Here is an iBuy instructional guide.

Please be prepared to provide justification for any puchases made outside of the iBuyNU/Preferred Vendor process. Please also note that Amazon Prime is now in iBuyNU, and you must use this avenue when purchasing products through that entity.

Return to Top

Reserving a Conference Room

To reserve a conference or seminar room, please email room-requests@cs.northwestern.edu

Be specific with your request, particularly with the following information:

  1. date
  2. time
  3. name of the event
  4. event contact name, email, and phone number
  5. estimated number of attendees, and
  6. audio/visual requests

You will receive a confirmation response from a staff member.


The following policies apply to all non-CS meeting requests:

  • No recurring events
  • No day-long events
  • No reservations outside of regular office hours (8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday)

Return to Top

CS MUDD Conference Rooms (MUDD 3001, 3501, & 3514)

Note: These rooms cannot be reserved after regular business hours on weekdays (after 5 p.m.) or on weekends by those outside CS due to access restrictions.

Return to Top

Tech Support

The Computing Facilities Management Group (ROOT)

To request support, send an email to: ROOT. A support ticket number will be generated; please use this ticket for all related correspondence in the header of your email replies.

Location: Tech M334 (Please remember to knock twice before entering)
Hours: Mon-Fri 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
IT (ROOT) Website: https://www.mccormick.northwestern.edu/it-resources/

Policies and rules of use: https://www.mccormick.northwestern.edu/it-resources/computer-purchasing-procurement-guidelines.html

Return to Top

Travel (Arrangement and Reimbursement)

Note: Please see the University's Covid-19 Travel Guidelines.

Students requiring assistance with event or travel related purchases, please contact Bella Barrios. Faculty, postdocs and research staff requiring assistance with event or travel related purchases, please contact Wynante Charles. University Services offers many resources on their Travel Services page. There you will find information on booking, discounts, policies, and forms for University business travel. Read more Travel Reimbursement Procedures.

Mileage Reimbursement

Effective January 1, 2020, the rate for mileage reimbursement increased to $0.575 per mile. This rate is based on U.S. Federal Government reimbursement rates. This reimbursement covers all fuel, maintenance, insurance, transportation, and operating costs. Fuel costs are included in the per-mile reimbursement rate and are not reimbursed separately for use of privately owned vehicles.

Car Rental

As per policy, use of rental car is allowed and will not be counted as part of per diem. You will, however, need to submit separate receipts and an exception form for it. When renting a car, a business purpose needs to be provided. Also, you will need to justify that the amount for renting a car was cheaper than the total combined transportation charge if cabs we used (as indicated in line 1 of the excerpt below). In most cases, acceptable reasons could be:

  1. The car was used to transport multiple people because it was a trip that involved more than one person.
  2. The place of destination or visit was a suburb, thus, the unavailability of cabs and a rental car was needed.
  3. The car was used to transport equipment while in the field.

Excerpt of NU Car Rental Policy: (Page 10 of the travel policy)

Commercial rental vehicles should be used only when it is not possible to use the Motor Pool, as follows:

  1. Commercial rental vehicles should not be used if less expensive transportation is available.
  2. The University's designated vehicle rental agency should be used whenever possible (please make sure an economy class car is used. If not, state reason why).
  3. Discount car rental cards are no longer available.
  4. Economy, compact or subcompact vehicles should always be rented. Reimbursement will be made for other types of vehicles in exceptional cases (e.g., several travelers are riding in one car, equipment being transported, etc.)

health insurance while travel internationally

Faculty, staff, and students should register with GeoBlue to ensure health insurance coverage while abroad.

Useful Links and Downloads

Return to Top

Traveling to Countries with U.S. Department of State Travel Warnings

For more info, please view Global McCormick's website for Travel Tips & Resources: http://www.mccormick.northwestern.edu/global/travel-tips-and-resources.html

Research and Visitor Appointments

Research and Visitor appointments are handled by the McCormick Customer Service Center. Prior to initiating a research staff or visitor appointment request, please confirm that you have office/desk space for your visitor. Once you have identified a candidate, please review the links below to initiate the process. All requests are sent to mccservice@northwestern.edu

Peer Mentor Hiring and Information

Newly Hired Peer Mentors

Peer mentors work approximately six hours per week, depending upon workload and duties. There is a maximum cap of 66 hours per quarter. Peer mentors need permission from the financial team to work in excess of this cap. A justification from the instructor is required, and this is a rare occurrence. 

Please note: you are NOT allowed to work if you have not completed sections 1 and 2 of the I-9 process. No exceptions.

Section 1 is completed online. Section 2 is done by payroll or an authorized employee. If you have previously worked on campus and completed the I-9 process within the last 12 months, you will not need to do this step again. Please verify with J Ratcliff that you are still active in the system.

Social Security Numbers

All students must have a Social Security Number (SSN). Students must make an appointment at the Evanston Social Security Administration Office located on Green Bay Road.

Please visit https://faq.ssa.gov/en-US/Topic/article/KA-02017 regarding documents that you may need. You should make an appointment to visit the office by calling 1 (888) 371-0791.

If you require a letter verifying employment, please reach out to J Ratcliff for a letter.


Once you are completely onboarded, you can update your direct deposit information as well as other items such as your address, in myHR. The login credentials are your NetID and password.

Workforce Software Timekeeping (WFS) and Pay Dates

Please visit https://www.northwestern.edu/hr/essentials/pay-taxes/pay-dates.html for the bi-weekly paydates.

To log hours into WFS, you must have Global Protect VPN to access the portal.