Undergraduate Study
Honors & Combined Degrees
Combined Bachelor's / Master's Program

McCormick’s Combined BS/MS Program allows undergraduates to pursue a bachelor’s degree (BS) and master’s degree (MS) simultaneously, shortening the time required to earn a master’s degree.

With careful planning, students may commence work on their master’s degree before completing their bachelor’s degree. For some students, it may be possible to earn both degrees at the same time, in just four years.

Students can pursue master’s degrees in the same department as their bachelor’s or in a different department.

See our list of recommended undergraduate courses

How to Apply

For information about applying to the BS/MS program, please contact Bruce Lindvall at b-lindvall@northwestern.edu.

Letters of Recommendation

Undergraduates with a cumulative GPA of 3.50 and above are guaranteed admission and are not required to submit two letters of recommendation.

Students with a cumulative GPA below 3.50 are required to submit two letters of recommendation.

Important Suggestions

  • If you are interested in a master’s degree, work closely with your undergraduate adviser or with personnel in the Office of Undergraduate Engineering
  • If your ultimate goal is to complete a PhD, you should consider pursuing an MS with the thesis option
  • If you plan to seek a master’s degree in another department, review the list of recommended undergraduate courses that you should take as an undergraduate.
  • Contact the director of graduate studies in the master's degree department. They are responsible for graduate admission to that department. Please refer to the list below and make an appointment to see them early in your undergraduate years.

Director of graduate studies for each McCormick department:

Master’s Program in Same Academic Department

If you wish to begin a master’s program following completion of your bachelor’s degree in the same department, you should apply for MS admission during your senior year.

Note: You are guaranteed admission to a McCormick master’s program if you finish your undergraduate degree with a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher.

Additional Questions?

Contact Bruce A. Lindvall, assistant dean for graduate studies, in L261. He can be reached at (847) 491-4547 or b-lindvall@northwestern.edu.