For Students
Getting Started
International Student Resources

Curricular Practical Training

Students on an F-1 Student Visa who are interested in a work-integrated learning experience should attend an information session at the International Office regarding Curricular Practical Training in order to be informed of regulations and requirements for work authorization.

Each of Engineering Career Development's four work-integrated learning programs are recognized by Northwestern University as Curricular Practical Training (CPT). CPT allows students to obtain less than one (1) year of work experience while pursuing a degree.

To apply for CPT, bring a CPT Application Form and your offer letter to a registration meeting with your ECD career advisor.

Completing a CPT Application

Consider the following when completing the CPT application:

Student Information

Fill out all applicable information.

Offer Information

The offer letter should be typed on company letterhead and must contain the following information:

  • Job title and responsibilities
  • Dates of employment. These must match dates on your academic advisor's recommendation form
  • Number of hours per week (part-time is 20 hours or less, full-time is 21 hours or more)
  • Employer's address and phone number
  • Address where the employment will take place
  • Signature of hiring manager or supervisor

Please note: the International Office needs to keep a copy of the offer letter. Please bring Engineering Career Development a copy, not the original.

Academic Necessity

  • Do not fill out this portion - your Engineering Career Development advisor will complete this section. 

Northwestern Verification

Your ECD advisor must sign the CPT application so the applicable CRDV registration can be confirmed by the International Office.

Note: PhD students only need their academic advisor to sign the CPT application for a CRDV enrollment.