Faculty / Researcher Services
Research Appointments & Visa Information
Information for Faculty and Staff
Visa Types and Processing Times

If your researcher is not a U.S. citizen or resident, s/he will need a visa stamp or work authorization document to enter the country and legally conduct research for McCormick. For a comprehensive look at each type of entry and/or work authorization, please see the visa types below along with the document types available.

For the most up-to-date information on visa timelines and fees, please refer to the International Office's website. Note that the Customer Service Center requires 2 weeks to process any appointment request prior to it reaching the International Office.

B1 Visa and B Visa Waiver

Purpose: scientific consultation and observation (absolutely no research)
Length: up to 90 days
Visa document name: n/a
Processing time: 4 weeks

J-1 Intern/Trainee

Purpose: structured internship program
Length: 1 day to 12 months
Visa document name: DS-2019 and DS-7002
Processing time: 7 weeks*

J-1 Visa Short-Term

Purpose: collaboration
Length: 1 day to 6 months
Visa document name: DS-2019
Processing time: 6 weeks*

J-1 Visa Research Scholar

Purpose: research exchange
Length: 3 weeks to 5 years
Visa document name: DS-2019
Processing time: 6 weeks*

OPT Visa Document

Purpose: training for current F-1 visa holders seeking post-graduate research and study in the U.S.
Length: 12 months + 17 months if eligible for OPT STEM extension
Visa document name: EAD card
Processing time: 3 months

Note: F-1 students must work on their OPT application with the institution that processed their F-1 visa. Once OPT (and/or STEM) is obtained, the CSC can process appointment paperwork in 2 weeks.

H-1B Visa

Purpose: research and employment
Length: 1 to 6 years
Visa document name: I-797 H-1B Approval Notice
Processing time: 5-8 months* (rush fees may apply)

*Due to processing delays at the Department of Labor (DOL) and United States Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS), H-1B visa processing can take 3-4 months longer than the timeline presented above.

* If your foreign researcher is not currently in the United States, s/he will need additional time to make an appointment with their U.S. embassy, acquire a visa stamp and make travel arrangements. This will take an additional 1 week to 3 months depending on the researcher's country of origin.

For more detailed information regarding visas, please visit the Northwestern University International Office. Note the International Office's timelines do not include the time needed to process these appointments at McCormick.