Faculty / Researcher Services
Research Appointments & Visa Information
Information For Scholars
Getting Started

Jump to a Section


If your funding comes from a source outside of Northwestern, we will need verification of your position and certified proof of funding (personal or institutional) for the period of your visit. All documents must be officially translated into English, self-translated documents will not be accepted. If you will be funded by Northwestern, you will not need to demonstrate proof of funding.

The following per-month minimum funding requirements apply to all J-1 visitors:

  • $1765 for individual
  • $525 for spouse
  • $442 per child

Return to Top

Health Insurance

If you are eligible for Northwestern benefits, you must enroll within the first 31 days of your appointment start date.

If you are not eligible for NU benefits you must either:

  1. Demonstrate proof of outside insurance that meets NU's requirements
  2. Request enrollment in Visiting Scholar Plan (VSP) through our office

If you do not have Benefits coverage through a U.S. employer or a group health insurance plan, you will be enrolled in Northwestern-issued Visiting Scholar Plan. The cost is $50/week for an individual or $160/week for a family. Please note you may be responsible for reimbursing your department for the cost of this insurance when you arrive at Northwestern.

If you are on a J-1 visa, failure to remain insured is a violation of your J-1 immigration status.

For more information about Visiting Scholar Plan, please visit the Northwestern Risk Management website.

Return to Top

Preliminary Invitation Letter

If you need a preliminary invitation letter from your sponsoring faculty member at Northwestern in order to apply for a scholarship or fellowship, please notify the sponsoring faculty member so that they can request a letter for you.

Return to Top

Visa Types and Processing Times

If you are not a U.S. citizen or resident, you cannot provide services to Northwestern University without the proper visa document. Our office will coordinate with your sponsoring faculty member, host department, and Northwestern's International Office to issue the appropriate visa document.

For a detailed breakdown of each visa type, please visit Visa Types and Processing Times. For more information about visa appointment wait times at your local embassy, please visit the U.S. Department of State website.

Return to Top