McCormick School of Engineering, Northwestern University
Isaac M. Daniel
Walter P. Murphy Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering and Mechanical Engineering
Director of the Center for Intelligent Processing of Composites
Center for Intelligent Processing of Composites
2145 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL 60208-3109
Ph.D. Civil Engineering, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL
M.S. Civil Engineering, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL
B.S. Civil Engineering, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL
National Technical University, Athens, Greece
Processing; characterization; micromechanics; fracture; fatigue; dynamic behavior; environmental effects; damage mechanics; nondestructive evaluation; life prediction
- Professional Achievement Award from IIT
- ASME fellow
- William M. Murray Medal of the Society for Experimental Mechanics
- Distinguished Research Award, American Society for Composites
- B.J. Lazan Award from the Society for Experimental Mechanics
- Two M. Hetenyi Awards from the Society for Experimental Mechanics
- Invited keynote speaker at 7th International Congress on Experimental Stress Analysis, Haifa, Israel, 1982
- Invited keynote speaker at 2nd International Conference on Composites Engineering, New Orleans, 1995
- Symposium on "Recent Advances in Experimental Mechanics" in honor of Isaac M. Daniel held in conjunction with 14th U.S. National Congress of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, Blacksburg, VA (2002
- Invited Plenary Speaker at 16th European Conference on Fracture (ECF16) in Alexandroupolis, Greece, 2006
- M. M. Frocht Award of the Society for Experimental Mechanics, 2006
- P. S. Theocaris Award of the Society for Experimental Mechanics, 2007
Significant Professional Service
- Walter P. Murphy Professor
- Editorial Board of the Journal of Composite Materials
- Editorial Board of Composites, Part A
- Fellow of the American Academy of Mechanics
- Fellow, Society for Experimental Mechanics (1981)
- Keynote Speaker at 2nd International Conference on Composites Engineering, New Orleans (1995)
- Society for Experimental Mechanics (SEM, Honorary Member; Fellow; Technical Editor; Executive Board; Fracture Committee; Composites Committee; Monographs Committee; Committee on Fellows; International Advisory Board (1980-2012)
- Associate Editor of Journal of Applied Mechanics (1993-1999)
- Plenary speaker at 16th European Conference on Fracture, Alexandroupolis, Greece (2006)
- Elected Honorary Member of the Society for Experimental Mechanics, 2007
- Member of the European Academy of Sciences (EAS), 2009
- Member of the Editorial Boards of Composites A, Journal of Composite Materials, and Strain
- Member of the European Academy of Sciences and Arts (EASA), 2009
- Plenary speaker, The Composites Consortium (TCC), Chicago (2010)
- Foreign member of Russian Academy of Engineering, 2012
- Plenary speaker, Tenth International Conference on Sandwich Structures, Nantes, France (2012)
- I. M. Daniel, B. T. Werner and J. S. Fenner, “Strain-Rate-Dependent Failure Criteria for Composites,”Composites Science and Technology,in press, 2010.
- Isaac M. Daniel, “Impact Response and Damage Tolerance of Composite Sandwich Structures,”9th International Conference on Composite Structures, ICSS9, Caltech, Pasadena, CA June 13-15, 2010.
- Isaac M. Daniel and Jeong-Min Cho, “Characterization of Polymeric Foams under Multi-Axial Static and Dynamic Loading,”2010 SEM Annual Conference and Exposition on Experimentaland Applied Mechanics, Indianapolis, IN , June 7-10, 2010.
- I. M. Daniel, J. M. Cho, B. T. Werner and J. S. Fenner, “Characterization and Constitutive Modeling of Composite Materials under Static and Dynamic Loading,”51st AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference,Orlando, FL, April 12-15, 2010.
- E. E. Gdoutos and I. M. Daniel, “Failure of Sandwich Structures,”Bulgarian Journal of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, Vol. 40, pp. 35-46, 2010.
- Q. Yu, Z. P. Bazant, J. M. Bayldon, J-L. Le, F. C. Caner, W. H. Ng, A. M. Waas, and I. M. Daniel, “Scaling of Strength of Metal-Composite Joints: Part I: Experimental Investigation,”ASME J. Applied Mech,Vol. 77, 011011, 2010.
- J. Cho, J. Fenner, B. Werner and I.M. Daniel, “A Constitutive Model for Fiber Reinforced Polymer Composites,” J. Comp. Materials, DOI: 10.1177/0021998309371547,in press 2010.
- Major Accomplishments in Composite Materials and Sandwich StructuresË—An Anthology of ONR Sponsored Research, I. M. Daniel, E. E. Gdoutos and Y. D. S. Rajapakse (eds.), Springer, 2009.