Thank you for considering the McCormick School of Engineering for your graduate education.
Please note: The information provided on this page is for applicants applying to programs offered through The Graduate School at Northwestern University.
Applicants to the following programs offered directly through the McCormick School of Engineering, should refer to their program's website for application instructions as they vary by program.
- Master of Science in Analytics
- Master of Science in Biotechnology
- Executive Management for Design and Construction
- Master of Science in Information Technology
- Master of Engineering Management
- The MMM Program
- Master of Product Design and Development Management
- Master of Project Management
- Master of Science in Robotics
Jump to a Section
- How to Apply
- Application Processes and Deadlines
- Required Application Materials
- Once You're Admitted
How to Apply
Each McCormick department handles its own recruitment and admissions processes separately. Please visit the website for your program of interest, discover our areas of study, or request a customized graduate program guide for more information about your program’s requirements.
Master's Degree Applicants
Applicants to the following programs should apply through The Graduate School, using their online application.
- Biomedical Engineering
- Chemical and Biological Engineering
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
- Engineering Science and Applied Mathematics
- Industrial Engineering and Management Sciences
- Mechanical Engineering
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Engineering Design and Innovation
- Theoretical and Applied Mechanics
- Predictive Science and Engineering Design
- Graduate Minor in Engineering Management
- Graduate Minor in Entrepreneurship
Application Process and Deadlines
The following guidelines apply only to students applying through The Graduate School at Northwestern for their PhD or Master's program.
For PhD and departmental master's programs, the Apply Yourself online application website opens in September 2016.
You may begin your online application at that time. During the process you may save your work and delay submission of the application and payment of the application fee until closer to the deadline.
If your goal is a PhD degree, apply for PhD admission. If you are not successful as a PhD applicant, it may be possible for us to consider you for admission to a master’s program.
Very few of our new PhD students have a master’s degree, and a master’s is not required for PhD admission.
The deadline for all PhD applicants is December 31, 2016, with a couple exceptions:
- The application deadline for the PhD program in the Department of Materials Science is December 15, 2016.
- The application deadline for the PhD program in the Department of Industrial Engineering and Management Sciences is December 15, 2016.
- The application deadline for the PhD program in the Department of Engineering Sciences and Applied Mathematics is January 6, 2017.
MS application deadlines vary by department and are later in the year. Please refer to the specific department or program to which you’re applying for its particular application deadline.
Required Application Materials
Required application materials include:
- Your resume or CV
- A statement of purpose
- Your GRE test scores
- Academic transcripts
- English proficiency requirements for international students:
- TOEFL exam,
- IELTS exam, or
- a BS or MS degree from an institution where English is the language of instruction
Once You’re Admitted
Admitted PhD students have until April 15 to accept or decline the offer of admission. Those residing in the United States are invited to campus in late winter. We help with the expenses of your travel to Evanston.
Admitted MS students typically have until August to accept or decline an offer of admission. Please refer to acceptance materials for details.
Feel free to contact the department or program staff or contact the Office of Graduate Studies.