Thank you for your interest in the Master of Biotechnology Program. The admissions committee reviews each application holistically, considering factors such as standardized test scores (GRE, GMAT, TOEFL, etc.), GPA, performance in an interview (in person, by phone, or Skype), and recommendation letters. Institution codes for the GRE test and TOEFL are 1011 and 5937, respectively.
Below you will find information about application deadlines and how to apply. We do not require an application fee.
Jump to a Section
- Prerequisite Coursework
- Application Process
- Application Deadlines
- Already a Northwestern Student?
- Questions About Admissions
At least one course in each of the following areas:
- Organic chemistry or biochemistry
- General chemistry
- Biology (e.g., cellular or molecular)
- Introductory calculus
- Fill out the online application.
- Participate in an interview in person, by phone, or via Skype.
- Submit supplementary materials (including two recommendation letters) and receive an official decision.
The Master of Biotechnology Program (MBP) matriculates students once a year, in September. The MBP online application is open from October to May, but prospective students are encouraged to apply early since the number of vacancies left past March is limited.
- No GRE or other standardized tests are required.
- Some undergraduate courses may count toward your degree and shorten your MBP curriculum from five to four quarters.