Faculty DirectoryYonggang Huang
Walter P. Murphy Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering and Mechanical Engineering
Contact2145 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL 60208-3109
Email Yonggang Huang
Ph.D. Engineering Science Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
M.S. Engineering Science Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
B.S. Mechanics Peking University, Beijing, China
Yonggang Huang is the Walter P. Murphy Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Civil and Environmental Engineering at Northwestern University. He has broad interests in many branches of Engineering Science, and has established mechanics models for advanced technology, such as stretchable and flexible electronics, epidermal electronics and transient electronics, and 3D fabrication of any materials. He has published 1 book and more than 500 journal papers and book chapters, including multi-disciplinary journals Science (2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015) and its sister journal Science Translational Medicine (2010), Nature (2008, 2013) and its sister journals Nature Materials (2006, 2008, 2010a,b, 2011, 2013, 2014), Nature Nanotechnology (2006, 2013), and Nature Neuroscience (2011); and journals in physics (e.g., PRL), materials (e.g., Advanced Materials), nanotechnology (e.g., Nano Letters), biology (e.g., PLoS One), and >40 papers in the top mechanics JMPS.
His recent awards include the Larson Memorial Award in 2003, Melville Medal in 2004, Richards Memorial Award in 2010, and Drucker Medal in 2013, all from ASME; Young Investigator Medal from the Society of Engineering Sciences in 2006; International Journal of Plasticity Medal in 2007; Guggenheim Fellowship from the John Simon Guggenheim Foundation in 2008; and ISI Highly Cited Researcher in Engineering in 2009 and in Materials Science in 2014 and 2015. He held the Grayce Wicall Gauthier Professorship (2003-04), Shao Lee Soo Professorship (2004-07) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, the Visiting Clark Millikan Professorship (2005-06) at Caltech, and Honorary Professor at Nanjing University of Posts and Telecommunications (2009), Xi'an Jiaotong University (2014) and Southwest Jiaotong Univeristy (2015). He is the Editor-in-Chief of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics Letters, Editor of Journal of Applied Mechanics (Transactions of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers), a member of the Executive Committee of Applied Mechanics Division at ASME, and the Past President of the Society of Engineering Sciences.
- Charles Russ Richards Memorial Award, American Society of Mechanical Engineers and Pi Tau Sigma (National Mechanical Engineering Honor Society), 2010
- Guggenheim Fellowship, John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation, 2008
- On the "Incomplete List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by Their Students," University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Spring 2003, Spring 2004, Fall 2004, Spring 2005, Fall 2006, Spring 2007
- Engineering Council Award for Excellence in Advising, College of Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2007
- International Journal of Plasticity Medal, 2007
- Young Investigator Medal, Society of Engineering Science, 2006
- George W. Melville Medal, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2004
- Gustus L. Larson Memorial Award, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2003
- Associate, Center for Advanced Study, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2002
- Research Award for US Scientists and Scholars, Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Germany, 2001
- Outstanding Young Investigator Award, National Science Foundation of China, 2000
Significant Professional Service
- Technical Editor, Journal of Applied Mechanics (ASME Transactions), 2012-
- Editor in Chief, Theoretical and Applied Mechanics Letters, 2011-
- Khang D-Y, Jiang HQ, Huang Y, and Rogers JA, “A stretchable form of single crystal silicon for high performance electronics on rubber substrates,” Science, v 311, pp 208-212, 2006.
- Kim D-H, Ahn J-H, Choi W-M, Kim H-S, Kim T-H, Song JZ, Huang Y, Liu ZJ, Lu C, and Rogers JA, "Stretchable and foldable silicon integrated circuits," Science, v 320, pp 507-511, 2008 (Inner cover feature article).
- Ko HC, Stoykovich MP, Song JZ, Malyarchuk V, Choi WM, Yu C-J, Geddes JB III, Xiao JL, Wang SD, Huang Y, and Rogers JA, "A hemispherical electronic eye camera based on compressible silicon optoelectronics," Nature, v 454, pp 748-753, 2008 (cover feature article).
- Park S-I, Xiong Y, Kim R-H, Elvikis P, Meitl M, Kim D-H, Wu J, Yoon J, Yu C-J, Liu ZJ, Huang Y, Hwang K-C, Ferreira P, Li X, Choquette K, and Rogers JA, "Printed assemblies of inorganic light-emitting diodes for deformable and semitransparent displays," Science, v 325, pp 977-981, 2009.
- Rogers JA, Someya T, and Huang Y, "Materials and mechanics for stretchable electronics," Science, v 327, pp 1603-1607, 2010 (review article).
- Kim D-H, Lu NS, Ma R, Kim Y-S, Kim R-H, Wang SD, Wu J, Won SM, Tao H, Islam A, Yu KJ, Kim T-I, Chowdhury R, Ying M, Xu LZ, Li M, Chung H-J, Keum H, McCormick M, Liu P, Zhang YW, Omenetto FG, Huang Y, Coleman T, and Rogers JA, "Epidermal electronics," Science, v 333, pp 838-843, 2011.
- Hwang S-W, Tao H, Kim D-H, Cheng HY, Song J-K, Rill E, Brenckle MA, Panilaitis B, Won SM, Kim Y-S, Song YM, Yu KJ, Ameen A, Li R, Su YW, Yang MM, Kaplan DL, Zakin MR, Slepian MJ, Huang Y, Omenetto FG, and Rogers JA, “A physically transient form of silicon electronics,” Science, v 337, pp 1640-1644, 2012 (cover feature article).
- Kim T-I, McCall JG, Jung YH, Huang X, Siuda ER, Li YH, Song JZ, Song YM, Pao HA, Kim R-H, Lu CF, Lee SD, Song I-S, Shin GC, Al-Hasani R, Kim S, Tan MP, Huang Y, Omenetto FG, Rogers JA, and Bruchas MR, “Injectable, cellular-scale optoelectronics with applications for wireless optogenetics,” Science, v 340, pp 211-216, 2013.
- Song YM, Xie YZ, Malyarchuk V, Xiao JL, Jung IH, Choi K-J, Liu ZJ, Park HS, Lu CF, Kim R-H, Li R, Crozier KB, Huang Y, and Rogers JA, “Digital cameras with designs inspired by the arthropod eye,” Nature, v 497, pp 95-99, 2013 (cover feature article).
- Xu S, Zhang YH, Jia L, Mathewson KE, Jang K-I, Kim JH, Fu HR, Huang X, Chava P, Wang RH, Bhole S, Wang LZ, Na YJ, Guan Y, Flavin M, Han ZS, Huang Y, and Rogers JA, “Soft microfluidic assemblies of sensors, circuits and radios for the skin,” Science, v 344, pp 70-74, 2014.
- Xu S, Yan Z, Jang KI, Huang W, Fu HR, Kim JH, Wei ZJ, Flavin M, McCracken J, Wang RH, Badea A, Liu Y, Xiao DQ, Zhou GY, Lee JW, Chung HU, Cheng HY, Ren W, Banks A, Li XL, Paik U, Nuzzo RG, Huang Y, Zhang YH, and Rogers JA, “Assembly of micro/nanomaterials into complex, three-dimensional architectures by compressive buckling,” Science, v 347, pp 154-159, 2015. (cover feature article)