Faculty DirectoryGiuseppe Buscarnera
Assistant Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Contact2145 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL 60208-3109
Email Giuseppe Buscarnera
Ph.D. Geotechnical Engineering, Politecnico di Torino, Torino, Italy
M.S. Geotechnical Engineering, Politecnico di Milano, Milan, Italy
B.S. Civil Engineering, Politecnico di Milano, Milan, Italy
Constitutive modeling of geomaterials; mechanics of unsaturated soils; chemo-mechanics of porous rocks; theory of material stability and its application to geo-engineering problems; fracture and crushing in granular materials; natural hazards; slope stability analyses; landslide forecasting.
- Gold medal of the Politecnico di Milano for the best graduate in Civil Engineering (2006)
- Rocca Fellowship (MIT-Politecnico di Milano)
- Alert Ph.D. Prize (2011)
- Mihalache, C., Buscarnera, G. (2015). Is wetting-collapse and unstable compaction process? J. Geotech. Geoenviron. Eng., 141(2).
- Das, A., Buscarnera, G. (2014). Compaction localization in high-porosity calcarenite: numerical modeling of axisymmetric loading paths. Int. J. Rock. Mech. Min. Sc, 71, 91-104.
- Zhang, Y., Buscarnera, G. (2014). Grainsize dependence of clastic yielding in unsaturated granular soils. Granular Matter, 16:469–483.
- Buscarnera, G., Laverack, R. (2014). Path-dependence of the potential for compaction banding: theoretical predictions based on a plasticity model for porous rocks. Journal of Geophysical Research – Solid Earth, 119, 3, 1882–1903.
- Mihalache, C., Buscarnera, G. (2014). Mathematical identification of diffuse and localized instabilities in fluid‐saturated sands. Int. J. Numer. Anal. Meth. Geomech.; 38: 111–141.
- Buscarnera, G. (2014). Uniqueness and existence in plasticity models for unsaturated soils. Acta Geotechnica, 9, 313–327.
- Buscarnera G., di Prisco C. (2013) Soil stability and flow slides in unsaturated shallow slopes: can saturation events trigger liquefaction processes? Géotechnique, 63(10), 801 –817.
- Buscarnera G. (2012) A conceptual model for the chemo-mechanical degradation of granular geomaterials. Géotechnique Letters, 2, 149-154.
- Buscarnera G., Whittle A.J. (2012) Constitutive modelling approach for evaluating the triggering of flow slides. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 49(5): 499-511.
- Buscarnera G., Nova R. (2011) Modelling instabilities in triaxial testing on unsaturated soil specimens, Int. J. Numer. Anal. Meth. Geomech.; 35: 179–200.