Faculty DirectoryGiuseppe Buscarnera
Assistant Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Contact2145 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL 60208-3109
Email Giuseppe Buscarnera
Ph.D. Geotechnical Engineering, Politecnico di Torino, Torino, Italy
M.S. Geotechnical Engineering, Politecnico di Milano, Milan, Italy
B.S. Civil Engineering, Politecnico di Milano, Milan, Italy
Constitutive modeling of geomaterials; mechanics of unsaturated soils; chemo-mechanics of porous rocks; theory of material stability and its application to geo-engineering problems; fracture and crushing in granular materials; natural hazards; slope stability analyses; landslide forecasting.
- NSF Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Award
- ALERT PhD Prize by the ALERT Geomaterials Association
- Rocca Fellowship (MIT and Politecnico di Milano)
- Gold medal for best student in Civil Engineering (Politecnico di Milano)
- Luciano Varischi Scholarship (Politecnico di Milano)
Significant Professional Service
- Reviewer for the Int. J. Numer. Anal. Meth. Geomech. and Géotechnique Letters
- Member, Italian Geotechnical Association (AGI)
- Member, ISSMGE
- Marinelli, F., Buscarnera, G. (2015). Parameter calibration for high-porosity sandstones deformed in the compaction banding regime. Int. J. Rock. Mech. Min. Sc., 78, 240-252.
- Zhang, Y., Buscarnera, G. (2015). Prediction of breakage-induced couplings in unsaturated granular soils. Géotechnique, 65(2), 135 –140
- Mihalache, C., Buscarnera, G. (2015). Is wetting-collapse and unstable compaction process? J. Geotech. Geoenviron. Eng., 141(2).
- Das, A., Buscarnera, G. (2014). Compaction localization in high-porosity calcarenite: numerical modeling of axisymmetric loading paths. Int. J. Rock. Mech. Min. Sc, 71, 91-104.
- Buscarnera, G., Laverack, R. (2014). Path-dependence of the potential for compaction banding: theoretical predictions based on a plasticity model for porous rocks. Journal of Geophysical Research – Solid Earth, 119, 3, 1882–1903.
- Buscarnera, G. (2014). Uniqueness and existence in plasticity models for unsaturated soils. Acta Geotechnica, 9, 313–327.
- Buscarnera G., di Prisco C. (2013) Soil stability and flow slides in unsaturated shallow slopes: can saturation events trigger liquefaction processes? Géotechnique, 63(10), 801 –817.
- Buscarnera G., Einav I. (2012). The yielding of brittle unsaturated granular soils. Géotechnique, 62(2), 147 –160.
- Buscarnera G., Whittle A.J. (2012) Constitutive modelling approach for evaluating the triggering of flow slides. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 49(5): 499-511.
- Buscarnera G., Nova R. (2011) Modelling instabilities in triaxial testing on unsaturated soil specimens, Int. J. Numer. Anal. Meth. Geomech.; 35: 179–200.