McCormick School of Engineering, Northwestern University
Research Assistant Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Lecturer of Civil and Environmental Engineering
2145 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL 60208-3109
Ph.D. Molecular Biology/Genetics University of Lisbon, Portugal, degree in absentia through MIT, Cambridge, MA
B.S./M.S. Plant Biotechnology and Molecular Biology, University of Lisbon, Portugal
Effects of global climate change in the dynamics of biological partnerships involving microbes, in particular reef-forming corals and their associated algae; light scattering and propagation in coral tissue and skeleton; characterization of microbes at the cell and genetic level; characterization of the symbiotic relationship and of its limitations (i.e., coral bleaching when corals undergo thermal stress)
- Marcelino LA, Henss J, Turzhitsky V, Fang A, Fung J, Siple M, Wolfman H, Marks KW, Stoyneva V, Westneat M, Rogers J and Backman V “The role of coral skeleton in enhancing light absorption by symbiont algaeimplications for coral bleaching.” American Society of Microbiology 110th General Meeting, San Diego, CA, USA, May 23-27, 2010.
- Turzhitsky, V.; Fang, A.; Fung, J.; Henss, J.; Siple, M.; Stoyneva, V.; Rogers, J. D; Wolfman, H.; Radosevich, A.; Backman, V.; Marcelino, L. A. “Optical characterization of coral skeleton with low-coherence enhanced backscattering spectroscopy.” Optical Society of America: Biomedical Optics, Miami, FL, USA, April 11-14, 2010.
- A. Fang, J. Fung, E. Daly, J. Henss, M. Siple, V. Stoyneva, V. Turzhitsky, J. Rogers, M. Westneat, V. Backman, L. Marcelino (November, 2008), Characterization of optical properties of reef-building corals and its implications on bleaching susceptibility, 19th. Annual Argonne Symposium for Undergraduates in Science, Engineering and Mathematics, Argonne, IL
- Backman V., Siple M., Daly E., Fang A., Fung J., Stoyneva V., Henss J., Westneat M., Turzhitsky V., Rogers J., Marcelino L.A. (July 2008) Novel Optical Technique for characterization of light absorption and distribution in reef-building corals, 11th International Coral Reef Symposium. Fort-Lauderdale, Florida
- Backman V., Siple M., Daly E., Fang A., Fung J., Stoyneva V., Henss J., Westneat M., Turzhitsky V., Rogers J., Marcelino L.A. (July 2008) Characterization of optical properties of reef-building coral skeletons, 11th International Coral Reef Symposium. Fort-Lauderdale, Florida
- Sudo H.; Li-Sucholeiki X.-C.; UMarcelino L.A.;U Gruhl A.N.; Herrero-Jimenez P.; Thilly W.G., et al., Fetal-juvenile origins of point mutations in the adult human tracheal bronchial epithelium: absence of detectable effects of age, gender or smoking status. Mutation Res., 2008; 646:25-40
- Marcelino L.A.U Siple M., Daly E., Fang A., Fung J., Stoyneva V., Henss J., Westneat M., Turzhitsky V., Rogers J., and Backman V. U Light scattering in coral skeleton - evolutionary trends in coral bleaching and in light amplification, submitted to PNAS.
- Stoyneva V., Rogers J., Radosevich A., Pickard K., Backman V., and Marcelino L.AU., Mechanisms of multiple-scattering by reef-building coral skeletons and its enhancement of light absorption by symbiotic algae, submitted to Marine Ecology Progress Series.
- Swain T., Henss J., Siple M., Westneat M., Backman V., Marcelino L.A., Global patterns of coral bleaching – Construction and analysis of a bleaching and mortality dataset, submitted to Coral Reefs.