Faculty DirectoryManijeh Razeghi
Walter P. Murphy Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Contact2145 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL 60208-3109
Email Manijeh Razeghi
Docteur d'État ès Sciences Physiques, Université de Paris, Paris, France
Docteur 3ème Cycle Solid State Physics, Université de Paris, Paris, France
DEA Science des Matériaux, Université de Paris, Paris, France
Since its founding in 1992, the Center for Quantum Devices at Northwestern University has evolved from only a mere vision into a concrete world-class research laboratory, with the mission to pursue academic excellence and high-level research in compound semiconductor science and nanotechnology.
Advancing the frontiers in this cutting-edge scientific field is an exciting and challenging adventure, for which the Center has assembled a strong team of graduate and undergraduate students, research scientists and professors with diverse backgrounds, working within the Center's unique state-of-the-art research facility. The creativity and ingenuity of this strong team has proved successful in solving the many scientific issues encountered on a daily basis, achieving a number of breakthroughs and staying ahead of competition. At the same time, as an integral part of a high-level educational institution, the Center has been educating and training future leaders for both academia and industry.
The scientific research has involved developing an understanding of the physics of new semiconductor crystals for novel applications and realizing advanced semiconductor devices such as lasers, photodetectors, transistors, waveguides and switches. This entails a multidisciplinary combination of solid state physics, quantum mechanics, electrical, mechanical and chemical engineering and materials science, as well as a strong collaborative effort between Academia, Industry, and National Laboratories. A strong testimony of the success of this endeavor has been the consistent support of several industrial corporations and government agencies from the Department of Defense to push forward the science and nanotechnology of compound semiconductor optoelectronic and quantum devices at the Center.
The research activity involves a wide range of challenging scientific topics, including Ultraviolet and visible devices based on III-Nitride semiconductors, aluminum-free InGaAsP/GaAs lasers emitting at 980 nm and 808 nm, antimony based high power 3-5 μm lasers, uncooled infrared (3-16 μm) quantum cascade lasers, quantum well infrared photodetectors (QWIP), Type-II superlattice based infrared detectors, the development of uncooled InAsSb photodetector technology, InTlAsBiSb detector technology, self assembled quantum dot devices, and nanotechnology using electron-beam lithography. In all these fields, the Center's research work has been the world's first or best, and has resulted in 561 publications, 16 books and 27 book chapters, 660 conference presentations, lectures, plenary and invited talks, and organization of international conferences. In addition, 57 patents have been awarded or are currently pending, and 98 prestigious recognition awards have been bestowed upon Center members.
- Razeghi, M.; Cicek, E.; McClintock, R.; Vashaei, Z.; Zhang, Y., “Crack-free AlGaN for solar-blind focal plane arrays through reduced area epitaxy”, Applied Physics Letters, (2013)
- Razeghi, M.; Hoang, A.M.; Chen, G.; Haddadi, A., “Demonstration of high performance bias-selectable dual-band short-/mid-wavelength infrared photodetectors based on type-II InAs/GaSb/AlSb superlattices”, Applied Physics Letters, (2013)
- Nguyen, B.-M.; Razeghi, M.; Hoang, A.M.; Chen, G.; Haddadi, A., “Investigation of impurities in type-II InAs/GaSb superlattices via capacitance-voltage measurement”, Applied Physics Letters, (2013)
- Razeghi, M.; Zhang, Yinjun; Gautier, Simon; Cho, Chu-Young; Cicek, Erdem, “Near milliwatt power AlGaN-based ultraviolet light emitting diodes based on lateral epitaxial overgrowth of AlN on Si(111)”, Applied Physics Letters, (2013)
- Razeghi, M.; Lu, Q.Y.; Bandyopadhyay, N.; Slivken, S.; Bai, Y., “Room temperature terahertz quantum cascade laser sources with 215 ?w output power through epilayer-down mounting”, Applied Physics Letters, (2013)
- Razeghi, Manijeh; Zhang, Yinjun; Cho, Chu-Young; Cicek, Erdem; McClintock, Ryan, “Surface plasmon enhanced light emission from AlGaN-based ultraviolet light-emitting diodes grown on Si (111)”, Applied Physics Letters, (2013)
- Razeghi, M.; Hoang, A.M.; Chen, G.; Haddadi, A.; McClintock, R., “Advances in antimonide-based Type-II superlattices for infrared detection and imaging at center for quantum devices”, Infrared Physics and Technology, (2013)
- Razeghi, M.; Lu, Q.Y.; Bandyopadhyay, N.; Slivken, S.; Bai, Y., “High performance terahertz quantum cascade laser sources based on intracavity difference frequency generation”, Optics Express, (2013)