Faculty DirectoryManijeh Razeghi
Walter P. Murphy Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Contact2220 Campus Drive
Cook Hall 4051
Evanston, IL 60208-3109
Email Manijeh Razeghi
Docteur d'État ès Sciences Physiques, Université de Paris, Paris, France
Docteur 3ème Cycle Solid State Physics, Université de Paris, Paris, France
DEA Science des Matériaux, Université de Paris, Paris, France
Since its founding in 1992, the Center for Quantum Devices at Northwestern University has evolved from only a mere vision into a concrete world-class research laboratory, with the mission to pursue academic excellence and high-level research in compound semiconductor science and nanotechnology.
Advancing the frontiers in this cutting-edge scientific field is an exciting and challenging adventure, for which the Center has assembled a strong team of graduate and undergraduate students, research scientists and professors with diverse backgrounds, working within the Center's unique state-of-the-art research facility. The creativity and ingenuity of this strong team has proved successful in solving the many scientific issues encountered on a daily basis, achieving a number of breakthroughs and staying ahead of competition. At the same time, as an integral part of a high-level educational institution, the Center has been educating and training future leaders for both academia and industry.
The scientific research has involved developing an understanding of the physics of new semiconductor crystals for novel applications and realizing advanced semiconductor devices such as lasers, photodetectors, transistors, waveguides and switches. This entails a multidisciplinary combination of solid state physics, quantum mechanics, electrical, mechanical and chemical engineering and materials science, as well as a strong collaborative effort between Academia, Industry, and National Laboratories. A strong testimony of the success of this endeavor has been the consistent support of several industrial corporations and government agencies from the Department of Defense to push forward the science and nanotechnology of compound semiconductor optoelectronic and quantum devices at the Center.
The research activity involves a wide range of challenging scientific topics, including Ultraviolet and visible devices based on III-Nitride semiconductors, aluminum-free InGaAsP/GaAs lasers emitting at 980 nm and 808 nm, antimony based high power 3-5 μm lasers, uncooled infrared (3-16 μm) quantum cascade lasers, quantum well infrared photodetectors (QWIP), Type-II superlattice based infrared detectors, the development of uncooled InAsSb photodetector technology, InTlAsBiSb detector technology, self assembled quantum dot devices, and nanotechnology using electron-beam lithography. In all these fields, the Center's research work has been the world's first or best, and has resulted in 640 publications, 18 books and 31 book chapters, 765 conference presentations, lectures, plenary and invited talks, and organization of international conferences. In addition, 57 patents have been awarded or are currently pending, and 117 prestigious recognition awards have been bestowed upon Center members.
- Chen, G.; Razeghi, M.; Haddadi, A.; Chevallier, R.; Hoang, A.M., “Bias-selectable dual-band mid-/long-wavelength infrared photodetectors based on InAs/InAs 1-x Sb x type-II superlattices”, Applied Physics Letters, (2015)
- Razeghi, M.; Slivken, S.; Bai, Y.; Bandyopadhyay, N.; Heydari, D., “High brightness angled cavity quantum cascade lasers”, Applied Physics Letters, (2015)
- Chen, M.; Razeghi, M.; Slivken, S.; Bai, Y.; Bandyopadhyay, N., “High power frequency comb based on mid-infrared quantum cascade laser at _ 9 _ m”, Applied Physics Letters, (2015)
- Chen, G.; Razeghi, M.; Haddadi, A.; Chevallier, R.; Hoang, A.M., “InAs/InAs
1-xSb xtype-II superlattices for high-performance long-wavelength infrared medical thermography”, ECS Transactions, (2015)
- Stanley Tsao and Manijeh Razeghi, “Photonics Volume 2: Nanophotonic Structures and Materials”, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., (2015)
- Zhou, W.; Razeghi, M.; Slivken, S.; Bai, Y.; Bandyopadhyay, N., “Quantum cascade lasers: From tool to product”, Optics Express, (2015)
- Haddadi, Abbas; Razeghi, Manijeh; Chen, Guanxi; Hoang, Anh-Minh; Chevallier, Romain, “Demonstration of type-II superlattice MWIR minority carrier unipolar imager for high operation temperature application”, Optics Letters, (2015)
- Kim, J.; Zhu, Y.; Razeghi, M.; Bayram, C.; Ott, J., “Polarization-free GaN emitters in the ultraviolet and visible spectra via heterointegration on CMOS-compatible Si (100)”, Proceedings of SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering, (2015)