Faculty DirectoryNeelesh A. Patankar
Professor of Mechanical Engineering
Contact2145 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL 60208-3109
Email Neelesh Patankar
Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
M.S. Mechanical Engineering, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, India
Patankar group research is focused on four primary missions: First, to develop fully resolved computational fluid dynamics (CFD) techniques to simulate muscle activated movement of organisms (e.g. knifefish, zebrafish) and organs (e.g. esophagus). Second, to use theory and CFD to understand the neural control of movement, to design novel underwater vehicles, and to interrogate the evolution of fish form and function. Third, to establish the foundational science of controlling phase (anti-icing, anti-frosting, boiling, condensation, non-wetting supehydrophobic surfaces) using surface roughness and chemistry. Fourth, to establish new metrics to quantify the mileage efficiency and greenhouse emissions of automotive vehicles.
- International Conference on Multiphase Flow Junior Award, 2010 (presented once every three years for significant scientific breakthrough(s) in the field of multiphase flow by a researcher younger than 40 years)
- Defense Science Study Group member (one of fifteen scientists and engineers chosen nation-wide), 2010-2011
- Associated Student Government Honor Roll for outstanding teaching (one of six chosen from the entire school of engineering), Northwestern University, 2009
- Honorable mention McCormick Teacher of the Year, 2008
- NSF CAREER Award, 2002
- Searle Junior Fellowship, 2001, Searle Center for Teaching Excellence, Northwestern University
- Certificate of outstanding ability in mathematics (ranked 14th in India), 1988, Indian Mathematics Olympiad Association
- National talent scholarship, 1987, National Council for Education Research and Training, India
1. Bale, Rahul; Hao, Max; Bhalla, Amneet Pal Singh; Patel, Namrata; Patankar Neelesh A.; Gray's paradox: A fluid mechanical perspective, SCIENTIFIC REPORTS Volume: 4 Article Number: 5904 2014.
2. Bale, Rahul; Hao, Max; Bhalla, Amneet Pal Singh; Patankar, Neelesh A.; Energy efficiency and allometry of movement of swimming and flying animals, PROC. NAT. ACAD. SCI. Volume: 111 Pages: 7517-7521 2014.
3. Bhalla, Amneet Pal Singh; Bale, Rahul; Griffith, Boyce E.; Patankar, Neelesh A.; Fully resolved immersed electrohydrodynamics for particle motion, electrolocation, and self-propulsion, JOURNAL OF COMPUTATIONAL PHYSICS Volume: 256 Pages: 88-108 2014.
4. Bhalla, Amneet Pal Singh; Bale, Rahul; Griffith, Boyce E.; Patankar, Neelesh A.; A unified mathematical framework and an adaptive numerical method for fluid-structure interaction with rigid, deforming, and elastic bodies, JOURNAL OF COMPUTATIONAL PHYSICS Volume: 250 Pages: 446-476 OCT 1 2013.
5. Bhalla, Amneet Pal Singh; Griffith, Boyce E.; Patankar, Neelesh A.; A Forced Damped Oscillation Framework for Undulatory Swimming Provides New Insights into How Propulsion Arises in Active and Passive Swimming, PLOS COMPUTATIONAL BIOLOGY Volume: 9 Issue: 6 Article: e1003097 JUN 2013.
6. Vakarelski, Ivan U.; Patankar, Neelesh A.; Marston, Jeremy O.; et al., Stabilization of Leidenfrost vapour layer by textured superhydrophobic surfaces, NATURE Volume: 489 Issue: 7415 Pages: 274-277 SEP 13 2012.
7. Kwon Hyuk-Min; Paxson Adam T.; Varanasi Kripa K.; Patankar Neelesh A., Rapid Deceleration-Driven Wetting Transition during Pendant Drop Deposition on Superhydrophobic Surfaces, PHYSICAL REVIEW LETTERS Volume: 106 Issue: 3 Article Number: 036102 JAN 20 2011.
8. Patankar Neelesh A., Electrokinetic instability: The sharp interface limit, PHYSICS OF FLUIDS Volume: 23 Issue: 1 Article Number: 014101 JAN 2011.
9. Patankar, NA, Vapor Stabilizing Substrates for Superhydrophobicity and Superslip, LANGMUIR 26(11): 8783-8786 JUN 1 2010.
10. Patankar, NA, Consolidation of Hydrophobic Transition Criteria by Using an Approximate Energy Minimization Approach, LANGMUIR 26(11): 8941-8945 JUN 1 2010.
11. Patankar NA, Supernucleating surfaces for nucleate boiling and dropwise condensation heat transfer, SOFT MATTER, 6(8): 1613-1620 2010 (invited article).
12. Hsu HY, Patankar NA, A continuum approach to reproduce molecular-scale slip behaviour, JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS, 645: 59-80 FEB 25 2010.
13. Shirgaonkar, AA, MacIver MA, Patankar NA, A new mathematical formulation and fast algorithm for fully resolved simulation of self-propulsion, JOURNAL OF COMPUTATIONAL PHYSICS, 228 (7): 2366-2390 APR 20 2009.
14. Patankar NA, Hydrophobicity of Surfaces with Cavities: Making Hydrophobic Substrates from Hydrophilic Materials?, JOURNAL OF ADHESION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, 23 (3): 413-433 2009 (invited article).
15. Shirgaonkar, AA, Curet OM, Patankar NA, MacIver MA, Hydrodynamics of ribbon-fin propulsion during impulsive motion, JOURNAL OF EXPERIMENTAL BIOLOGY, 211: 3490-3503, NOV 1 2008.
16. Loh, OY, Ho, AM, Rim, JE, Kohli, P, Patankar, NA, Espinosa, HD,Electric-field Induced Direct Delivery of Proteins by a Nanofountain Probe, PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES 105 (43): 16438-16443 OCT 28 2008.
17. Martini A, Hsu HY, Patankar NA, Lichter S, Slip at high shear rates, PHYSICAL REVIEW LETTERS 100 (20): 206001 MAY 23 2008.
18. Sharma N, Patankar NA, A fast computation technique for the direct numerical simulation of rigid particulate flows, JOURNAL OF COMPUTATIONAL PHYSICS 205 (2): 439-457 MAY 20 2005.
19. Sharma N, Patankar NA, Direct numerical simulation of the Brownian motion of particles by using fluctuating hydrodynamic equations, JOURNAL OF COMPUTATIONAL PHYSICS 201 (2): 466-486 DEC 10 2004.
20. He B, Lee J, Patankar NA, Contact angle hysteresis on rough hydrophobic surfaces, COLLOIDS AND SURFACES A-PHYSICOCHEMICAL AND ENGINEERING ASPECTS 248 (1-3): 101-104 NOV 9 2004.
21. Patankar NA, Mimicking the lotus effect: Influence of double roughness structures and slender pillars, LANGMUIR 20 (19): 8209-8213 SEP 14 2004.
22. Patankar NA, Transition between superhydrophobic states on rough surfaces, LANGMUIR 20 (17): 7097-7102 AUG 17 2004.
23. He B, Patankar NA, Lee J, Multiple equilibrium droplet shapes and design criterion for rough hydrophobic surfaces, LANGMUIR 19 (12): 4999-5003 JUN 10 2003.
24. Patankar NA, On the modeling of hydrophobic contact angles on rough surfaces, LANGMUIR 19 (4): 1249-1253 FEB 18 2003.
25. Patankar NA, Joseph DD, Lagrangian numerical simulation of particulate flows, INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF MULTIPHASE FLOW 27 (10): 1685-1706 OCT 2001.
26. Patankar NA, Joseph DD, Modeling and numerical simulation of particulate flows by the Eulerian-Lagrangian approach, INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF MULTIPHASE FLOW 27 (10): 1659-1684 OCT 2001.
27. Hu HH, Patankar NA, Zhu MY, Direct numerical simulations of fluid-solid systems using the arbitrary Lagrangian-Eulerian technique, JOURNAL OF COMPUTATIONAL PHYSICS 169 (2): 427-462 MAY 20 2001.
28. Patankar NA, Singh P, Joseph DD, Glowinski R, Pan TW, A new formulation of the distributed Lagrange multiplier/fictitious domain method for particulate flows, INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF MULTIPHASE FLOW 26 (9): 1509-1524 SEP 2000.
29. Patankar NA, Hu HH, Numerical simulation of electroosmotic flow, ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY 70 (9): 1870-1881 MAY 1 1998.