Faculty DirectoryAaron I. Packman
Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering and (by courtesy) Mechanical Engineering
Contact2145 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL 60208-3109
Email Aaron Packman
Ph.D. Environmental Engineering and Science, with minor in Geology, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA
M.S. Environmental Engineering and Science, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA
B.S. Mechanical Engineering, with minor in History, cum laude, Washington University, St. Louis, MO
My research focuses on water, sediments, and microbiota, with particular emphasis on the basic processes that control interfacial dynamics in aquatic systems and the coupling of physical transport processes with biological and biogeochemical processes. I seek to define critical structure-transport-transformation relationships in dynamic environments such as rivers and surface-attached microbial communities (biofilms). My work is highly collaborative and encompasses fluid mechanics, particle transport and morphodynamics, aquatic chemistry, and microbiology. Important applications include benthic microbial ecology, nutrient and carbon cycling, contaminant transport and water quality, ecosystem degradation and restoration, waterborne disease transmission, and control of biofilms in human infection and engineered water systems.
- Fulbright Distinguished Chair Award (2013)
- Cole-Higgins Award for Excellence in Advising, Northwestern University (2012)
- Huber Research Prize, American Society of Civil Engineers (2008)
- Career Award, National Institutes of Health (NIAID K25) (2006)
- McCormick Faculty Excellence Award, Northwestern University (2006)
- Searle Junior Teaching Fellow, Northwestern University (2001-2002)
- Career Award, National Science Foundation (1999)
- Department of Defense Graduate Fellowship (1991-1994)
- Myers Fellowship (full scholarship), Washington University (1987-1991)
Significant Professional Service
- Limnology and Oceanography – Fluids and Environments, Associate Editor, 2010–Present
- Water Resources Research, Associate Editor, 1999–2009)
- International Journal of Sediment Research, Editorial Board (2003–Present)
- Consortium of Universities for the Advancement of Hydrologic Science, Board of Directors, 2009–Present
- International Association for Sediment Water Science, Board of Directors, 2005–Present, Vice President (2011 – present)
- ASCE, Task Committee on Pathogens in Wet Weather Flows, 2008–Present
- NSF Hydrologic Synthesis Summer Institute, Director, June-August 2010
- Li, X. Chopp, D.L., Russin, W.A., Brannon, P.T., Parsek, M.R., and Packman, A.I., 2016, In situ biomineralization and particle deposition distinctively mediate biofilm susceptibility to chlorine, Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 82(10), DOI:10.1128/AEM.03954-15. [Editor’s highlighted article]
- Battin, T.J., Besemer, K., Bengtsson, M., Romani, A., Packman, A.I., 2016, The ecology and biogeochemistry of stream biofilms, Nature Reviews Microbiology, 14(4), 251-263, DOI:10.1038/nrmicro.2016.15
- Li, X., Lu, N., Brady, H.R., and Packman, A.I., 2016, Ureolytic biomineralization reduces Proteus mirabilis biofilm susceptibility to ciprofloxacin, Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, DOI:10.1128/AAC.00203-16.
- Aubeneau, A.F., Martin R.L., Jerolmack D.J., and Packman, A.I., 2015, Fractal patterns in riverbed morphology produce fractal scaling of water storage times, Geophysical Research Letters, 42(13), 5309–5315, DOI:10.1002/2015GL064155
- Culotti, A., and Packman, A.I., 2015, Pseudomonas aeruginosa facilitates Campylobacter jejuni growth in biofilms under oxic flow conditions, FEMS Microbiology Ecology, 91(12), DOI:10.1093/femsec/fiv136
- Stonedahl, S.H., Roche, K.R., Stonedahl, F., and Packman, A.I., 2015, Visualizing hyporheic flow through bedforms using dye experiments and simulation, Journal of Visualized Experiments, 105, e53285, DOI:10.3791/53285
- Li, X. Chopp, D.L., Russin, W.A., Brannon, P.T., Parsek, M.R., Packman, A.I., 2015, Spatial patterns of carbonate biomineralization in biofilms, Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 81, 7403–7410, DOI:10.1128/AEM.01585-15. [Editor’s highlighted article]
- Drummond, J.D., Davies-Colley, R.J.; Stott, R., Sukias, J.P., Nagels, J.W., Sharp, A., and Packman, A.I., 2015, Microbial transport, retention, and inactivation in streams – a combined experimental and stochastic modeling approach, Environmental Science and Technology, 49(13), 7825–7833, DOI:10.1021/acs.est.5b01414
- Xie, M., Jarrett, B.A., Cadoux, C., Fetters, K.J., Burton Jr., G.A., Gaillard, J-F, Packman, A.I., 2015, Coupled effects of hydrodynamics and biogeochemistry on the mobility and bioavailability of Zn in highly contaminated sediments, Environmental Science and Technology, 49(9), 5346–5353, DOI:10.1021/acs.est.5b00416
- Li, X., Song, J.L., Culotti A., Zhang, W., Chopp, D.L. Packman, A.I., 2015, Methods for characterizing the co-development of biofilm and habitat heterogeneity, Journal of Visualized Experiments, (97), e52602, DOI:10.3791/52602
- Aubeneau, A.F., Drummond, J.D., Schumer, R., Bolster, D., Tank, J.L., Packman, A.I., 2015, Effects of benthic and hyporheic reactive transport on breakthrough curves, Freshwater Science, 34(1), 301-315, DOI:10.1086/680037
- Larned, S.T., Gooseff, M.N, Packman, A.I., Rugel, K., and Wondzell, S.M., 2015, Surface water-groundwater interactions: Current research directions, Freshwater Science, 34(1), 92-98, DOI:10.1086/679491
- Fan, Y., Richard, S., Bristol, S., Peters, S., Ingebritsen, S., Moosdorf, N., Packman, A., Gleeson, T., Zaslavsky, I., Peckham, S., Murdoch, L. Fienen, M., Cardiff, M., Tarboton, D., Jones, N., Hooper, R., Arrigo, J., Gochis, D., Olson, J., Wolock, D., 2015, DigitalCrust: A 4D data system of material properties for transforming research on crustal fluid flow, Geofluids, 15(1-2), 372-379, DOI:10.1111/gfl.12114
- Drummond, J. D., Davies-Colley, R. J., Stott, R., Sukias, J. P., Nagels, J. W., Sharp, A., Packman, A.I., 2014, Retention and remobilization dynamics of fine particles and microorganisms in pastoral streams, Water Research, 66, 459-472, DOI:10.1016/j.watres.2014.08.025
- Culotti, A.C., Packman, A.I., 2014, Pseudomonas aeruginosa promotes Escherichia coli biofilm formation in nutrient-limited medium, PLoS One, 9(9):e107186. DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0107186
- Boano, F., Harvey, J.W., Marion, A., Packman, A.I., Revelli, R., Ridolfi, L., and Wörman, A, 2014, Hyporheic flow and transport processes: Mechanisms, models, and biogeochemical implications, Reviews of Geophysics, 52, DOI:10.1002/2012RG000417
- Drummond, J.D., Aubeneau, A.F., Packman, A.I., 2014, Stochastic modeling of fine particle dynamics in rivers, Water Resources Research, 50(5), 4341–4356, DOI:10.1002/2013WR014665
- Kelly, J.J., Minalt, N., Culotti, A., Pryor, M. and Packman, A., 2014, Temporal variations in the abundance and composition of biofilm communities colonizing drinking water distribution pipes, PLoS One, 9(5): e98542. DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0098542
- Song, J.L, Au, K.H., Huynh, K.T., Zhang, W., Packman, A.I., 2013, Biofilm responses to smooth flow fields and chemical gradients in novel microfluidic flow cells, Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 111(3), 597-607.
- Stonedahl, S.H., Harvey, J.W., and Packman, A.I., 2013, Interactions between hyporheic flow produced by stream meanders, bars, and dunes, Water Resources Research, 9, 5450–5461, DOI:10.1002/wrcr.20400
- Shogan, B., Smith, D., Packman, A., Kelley, S., Landon, E., Bhangar, S., Vora, G., Jones, R., Keegan, K., Stephens, B., Ramos, T., Kirkup, B., Levin, H., Rosenthal, M., Foxman, B., Chang, E., Siegel, J., Cobey, S., An, G., Alverdy, J., Olsiewski, P., Martin, M., Marrs, R., Hernandez, M., Christley, S., Morowitz, M., Weber, S. The Hospital Microbiome Project: Meeting Report for the 2nd Hospital Microbiome Project, Chicago, USA, January 15th, 2013. Standards in Genomic Sciences, North America, 8, Jul. 2013. Available at: <http://www.standardsingenomics.org/index.php/sigen/article/view/sigs.4187859/946>
- Tseng, B.S., Zhang, W., Quach, T.P., Harrison, J.J., Song, J.L., Chopp, D.L., Packman, A.I., Parsek, M.R., 2013, The extracellular matrix protects Pseudomonas aeruginosa biofilms by limiting the penetration of tobramycin, Environmental Microbiology, 15(10), 2865-2878, DOI:10.1111/1462-2920.12155
- Patil, S., Covino, T., Packman, A.I., McGlynn, B., Drummond, J.D., Payn, R., and Schumer, R., 2013, Intra-stream variability in tracer breakthrough curves: Controls on solute retention behavior, Journal of Geophysical Research-Earth Surface, 118(2), 413–422, DOI:10.1029/2012JF002455
- Zhang, W., Sileika, T., Packman, A.I, 2013, Effects of fluid flow conditions on interactions between species in biofilms, FEMS Microbiology Ecology, 84(2), 344-354, DOI: 10.1111/1574-6941.12066
- Bradford, S.A., Morales, V.L., Zhang, W., Harvey, R.W., Packman, A.I., Mohanram, A., and Welty, C., 2013, Transport and fate of microbial pathogens in agricultural settings, Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology, 43, 775–893, DOI: 10.1080/10643389.2012.7104
- Harvey, J.W., Drummond, J.D., Martin, R.L., McPhillips, L.E., Packman, A.I., Jerolmack, D.J., Stonedahl, S.H., Aubeneau, A.F., Sawyer, A.H., Larsen, L.G., and Tobias, C.R., 2012, Hydrogeomorphology of the hyporheic zone: Stream solute and fine particle interactions with mobile bedforms and floods, Journal of Geophysical Research-Biogeosciences, 117, G00N11, DOI:10.1029/2012JG002043
- Park, Y., Atwill, E.R., Lingling, H., Packman, A., and Harter, T., 2012, Deposition of Cryptosporidium parvum oocysts in porous media: A synthesis of attachment efficiencies measured under varying environmental conditions, Environmental Science and Technology, 46(17), 9491-9500, DOI 10.1021/es300564w
- Zhang, Y., Meerschaert, M.M., and Packman, A.I., 2012, Linking fluvial bed sediment transport across scales, Geophysical Research Letters, 39, L20404, DOI:10.1029/2012GL053476
- Stonedahl, S.H., Harvey, J.W., Detty, J., Aubeneau, A., and Packman, A.I., 2012, Physical controls and predictability of stream hyporheic flow evaluated with a multi-scale model, Water Resources Research, 48, W10513, DOI:10.1029/2011WR011582
- Drummond, J.D., Covino, T.P., Aubeneau, A.F., Leong, D., Patil, S., Schumer, R., and Packman, A.I., 2012, Effects of solute breakthrough curve tail truncation on residence time estimates: A synthesis of solute tracer injection studies, Journal of Geophysical Research-Biogeosciences, 117, art. no. G00N08, DOI:10.1029/2012JG002019
- Cullis, J., Gillis, C., Bothwell, M. , Kilroy, C., Packman, A.I. , and Hassan, M., 2012, A conceptual model for the growth, persistence, and blooming behavior of the benthic mat-forming diatom Didymosphenia geminata in oligotrophic streams, Journal of Geophysical Research-Biogeosciences, 117, art. no. G00N03, DOI: 10.1029/2011JG001891
- Zhang, W., Sileika, T., Chen, C., Liu, Y., and Packman, A.I., 2011, A novel planar flow cell for studies of biofilm heterogeneity and flow-biofilm interactions, Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 108(11):2571-82. DOI: 10.1002/bit.2323
- Liu, Y., Zhang, W., Sileika, T., Warta, R., Cianciotto, N.P., and Packman, A.I., 2011, Disinfection of bacterial biofilms in pilot-scale cooling tower systems, Biofouling, 27(4):393-402.
- Thompson, S.E., Harman, C. J., Schumer, R., Wilson, J.S., Basu, N.B., Brooks, P.D., Donner, S.D., Hassan, M.A., Packman, A I., Rao, P.S.C., Troch, P.A., and Sivapalan, M., 2011, Patterns, puzzles and people: Implementing hydrologic synthesis, Hydrological Processes, 25, 3256–3266.
- Guan, K., Thompson, S.E., Harman, C.J., Basu, N.B., Rao, P.S.C., Sivapalan, M., Packman, A.I., and Kalita, P.K., 2011, Spatio-temporal scaling of hydrological and agrochemical export dynamics in a tile-drained Midwestern watershed, 47, W00J02, Water Resources Research, DOI:10.1029/2010WR009997 [Editor’s highlighted article].
- Larned, S.T., Packman, A.I., Plew, D.R., and Vopel, K., 2011, Interactions between the mat-forming alga Didymosphenia geminata and its hydrodynamic environment, Limnology and Oceanography: Fluids and Environments, 1, 4–22, DOI: 10.1215/21573698-1152081 [selected as lead article for new journal.]
- Stonedahl, S.H., Harvey, J.W., Wörman, A., Salehin, M., and Packman, A.I., 2010, A multi-scale model for integrating hyporheic exchange from ripples to meanders, Water Resources Research, 46, W12539, DOI:10.1029/2009WR008865.
- Chen, C., Packman, A.I., Zhang, D., and Gaillard, J.-F., 2010, A multi-scale investigation of coupled interfacial transport, pore fluid flow, and fine particle deposition in a sediment bed, Water Resources Research, 46, W11560, DOI:10.1029/2009WR009018.
- Arnon, S., Marx, L.P., Searcy, K.E., and Packman, A.I., 2010, Effects of overlying velocity, particle size and biofilm growth on stream-subsurface exchange of particles, Hydrological Processes, 24(1), 108-114, DOI:10.1002/hyp.7490.
- Chen, C., Lau, B. L. T., Gaillard, J.-F., and Packman, A.I., 2009, Temporal evolution of pore geometry, fluid flow, and solute transport resulting from colloid deposition, Water Resources Research, 45, W06416, DOI:10.1029/2008WR007252.
- Chen, C., Packman, A. I., and Gaillard, J.-F., 2009, Using X-ray micro-tomography and pore-scale modeling to quantify sediment mixing and fluid flow in a developing streambed, Geophysical Research Letters, 36, L08403, DOI:10.1029/2009GL037157.
- Liu, Y., Zhang, W., Sileika, T., Warta, R., Cianciotto, N.P., and Packman, A.I., 2009, Role of bacterial adhesion in the microbial ecology of biofilms in cooling tower systems, Biofouling, 25:3, 241-253, DOI: 10.1080/08927010802713414.
- Chen, C., Packman, A. I., and Gaillard, J.-F. 2008, Pore-scale analysis of permeability reduction resulting from colloid deposition, Geophysical Research Letters, 35, L07404, DOI:10.1029/2007GL033077.
- Battin, T.J., Kaplan, L.A., Findlay, S., Hopkinson, C.S., Marti, E., Packman, A.I., Newbold, J.D., and Sabater, F., 2008, Biophysical controls on organic carbon fluxes in fluvial networks, Nature Geoscience, 1, 95-100, DOI:10.1038/ngeo101.
- Marion A., Packman, A.I., Zaramella, M., and Botticin, A., 2008, Hyporheic flow in stratified beds, Water Resources Research, 44, W09433, DOI:10.1029/2007WR006079.
- Cardenas, M.B., Harvey, J.W., Packman, A.I., and Scott, D.T., 2008, Ground-based thermography of fluvial systems at low and high discharge reveals potential complex thermal heterogeneity driven by flow variation and bioroughness, Hydrological Processes, 22(7), 980-986, DOI:10.1002/hyp.6996.
- Wörman, A., Packman, A.I., Marklund, L., Harvey, J.W., and Stone, S.H., 2007, Fractal topography and subsurface water flows from fluvial bedforms to the continental shield, Geophysical Research Letters, 34(7), L07402, DOI:10.1029/2007GL029426 [Editor’s highlighted article].
- Boano, F., Packman, A.I., Cortis, A., Revelli, R., and Ridolfi, L., 2007, A continuous time random walk approach to the stream transport of solutes, Water Resources Research, 43, W10425, DOI:10.1029/2007WR006062.
- Gaillard, J.-F., Chen, C., Stonedahl, S.H., Lau, B.L.T., Keane, D.T, and Packman, A.I., 2007, Imaging of colloidal deposits in granular porous media by x-ray difference micro-tomography, Geophysical Research Letters, 34(18), L18404, DOI:10.1029/2007GL030514 [Cover article and Editor’s highlighted article].
- Arnon, S., Gray, K.A., and Packman, A.I., 2007, Biophysicochemical process coupling controls nitrogen utilization by benthic biofilms, Limnology and Oceanography, 52(4), 2007, 1665-1671.
- Arnon, S., Peterson, C.G., Gray, K.A., and Packman, A.I., 2007, Influence of flow conditions and system geometry on nitrate utilization by benthic biofilms: Implications for nutrient mitigation, Environmental Science & Technology, 41(23), 8142-8148, DOI:10.1021/es0710048.
- Ren, J., and Packman, A.I., 2007, Changes in fine sediment size distributions due to interactions with streambed sediments, Sedimentary Geology, 202, 529-537, DOI:10.1016/j.sedgeo.2007.03.021.
- Arnon, S., Packman, A.I., Peterson, C.G., and Gray, K.A., 2007, Effects of overlying velocity on periphyton structure and denitrification, JGR-Biogeosciences, 112, G01002, DOI:10.1029/2006JG000235.
- Ryan, R.J., Packman, A.I., and Kilham, S.S., 2007, Relating phosphorus uptake to changes in transient storage and streambed sediment characteristics in headwater tributaries of Valley Creek, an urbanizing watershed, Journal of Hydrology, 336(3-4), 444-457.
- Searcy, K.E., Packman, A.I., Atwill, E.R., and Harter, T., 2006, Capture and retention of Cryptosporidium parvum oocysts by Pseudomonas aeruginosa biofilms, Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 72(9), DOI:10.1128/AEM.00344-06, 6242-6247 [Cover article].
- Cortis, A., Harter, T., Hou, L., Atwill, E.R., Packman, A.I., and Green, P.G., 2006, Transport of Cryptosporidium parvum in porous media: Long-term elution experiments and continuous time random walk filtration modeling, Water Resources Research, 42, W12S13, DOI:10.1029/2006WR004897.
- Packman, A.I., Marion, A., Zaramella, M., Chen, C., Gaillard, J-F, and Keane, D., 2006, Development of layered sediment structure and its effects on pore water transport and hyporheic exchange, Water, Air, and Soil Pollution: Focus, 6(5-6), DOI:10.1007/s11267-006-9057-y.
- Ryan, R.J., and Packman, A.I., 2006, Changes in streambed sediment characteristics and solute transport in the headwaters of Valley Creek, an urbanizing watershed, Journal of Hydrology, 323(1-4), DOI:10.1016/j.jhydrol.2005.06.042, 74-91.
- Searcy, K.E., Packman, A.I., Atwill, E.R., and Harter, T., 2006, Deposition of Cryptosporidium oocysts by stream-subsurface exchange, Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 72(3), 1810-1816.
- Wörman, A., Packman, A.I., Marklund, L., Harvey, J.W., and Stone, S.H., 2006, Exact three-dimensional spectral solution to surface-groundwater interactions with arbitrary surface topography, Geophysical Research Letters, 33(7), L07402, DOI:10.1029/2006GL025747 [Editor’s highlighted article].
- Zaramella, M., Marion, A. and Packman, A.I., 2006, Applicability of the Transient Storage Model to the hyporheic exchange of metals and colloids, Journal of Contaminant Hydrology, 84(1-2), 21-35.
- Wörman, A., Kløve, B., Wachniew, P., Czupryński, P., and Packman, A., 2005, Tracer test in Hobøl Creek, Norway, under different flow conditions, Acta Geophysica Polonica, 53(4), 517-526.
- Rehg, K.J., Packman, A.I., and Ren, J. 2005, Effects of suspended sediment characteristics and bed sediment transport on streambed clogging, Hydrological Processes, 19(2), 413-427.
- Searcy, K.E., Packman, A.I., Atwill, E.R., and Harter, T., 2005, Association of Cryptosporidium parvum with suspended particles: Impact on oocyst sedimentation, Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 71(2), 1072-1078.
- Ren, J., and Packman, A.I., 2005, Coupled stream-subsurface exchange of colloidal hematite and dissolved zinc, copper and phosphate, Environmental Science & Technology, 39(17), 6387-6394.
- Salehin, M., Packman, A.I., and M. Paradis, 2004, Hyporheic exchange with heterogeneous streambeds: Modeling and laboratory experiments, Water Resources Research, 40(11), W11504, DOI:10.1029/2003WR002567.
- Ren, J., and Packman, A.I., 2004, Stream-subsurface exchange of zinc in the presence of silica and kaolinite colloids, Environmental Science & Technology, 38(24), 6571-6581.
- Packman, A.I., Salehin, M., and Zaramella, M. 2004, Hyporheic exchange with gravel beds: Basic hydrodynamic interactions and bedform-induced advective flows, Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, 130(7), 647-656.
- Ren, J., and Packman, A.I. 2004, Modeling of simultaneous exchange of colloids and sorbing contaminants between streams and streambeds, Environmental Science & Technology, 38(1), DOI:10.1021/es034852l, 2901-2911.
- Packman, A.I., and Jerolmack, D. 2004, The role of physicochemical process in controlling sediment transport and deposition in turbidity currents, Marine Geology, 204(1-2), DOI:10.1016/S0025-3227(03)00359-1, 1-9.
- Ryan, R.J., Packman, A.I., and Welty, C. 2004, Estimation of solute transport and storage parameters in a stream with anthropogenically produced unsteady flow and industrial bromide input, Water Resources Research, 40(1), W01602, DOI:10.1029/2003WR002458.
- Packman, A.I., Battin, T.J., and Newbold, J.D. 2003, Coupling of hydrodynamical, biological, and geochemical processes in streambeds, Archives of Hydro-Engineering & Environmental Mechanics, 50(2), 107-123.
- Salehin, M., Packman, A.I., and Wörman, A. 2003, Comparison of hyporheic exchange in vegetated and unvegetated reaches of a small agricultural stream in Sweden: Seasonal variation and anthropogenic manipulation, Advances in Water Resources, 26(9), 951-964.
- Zaramella, M., Packman, A.I., and Marion, A. 2003, Application of the Transient Storage Model to analyze advective hyporheic exchange with deep and shallow sediment beds, Water Resources Research, 39(7), DOI:10.1029/2002WR001344.
- Ren, J., and Packman, A.I. 2003, Stream-subsurface exchange, suspended sediment transport, and the coupled transport of colloids and contaminants in streambeds, International Journal of Sediment Research, 18(2), 199-207.
- Packman, A.I., and Salehin, M. 2003, Relative roles of stream flow and sedimentary conditions in controlling hyporheic exchange, Hydrobiologia, 494, 291-297.
- Marion, A., Zaramella, M., and Packman, A.I. 2003, Parameter estimation of the Transient Storage Model for stream-subsurface exchange, Journal of Environmental Engineering, 129(5), 456-463.
- Packman, A.I, and MacKay, J.S. 2003, Interplay of stream-subsurface exchange, clay particle deposition, and stream bed evolution, Water Resources Research, 39(4), 1097, DOI:10.1029/2002WR001432.
- Marion, A., Bellinello, M., Guymer, I., and Packman, A.I. 2002, Effect of bed form geometry on the penetration of passive solutes into a stream bed, Water Resources Research, 38(10), 1209, DOI:10.129/2001WR000264.
- Ren, J., and Packman, A.I. 2002, Effects of particle size and background water composition on stream-subsurface exchange of colloids, Journal of Environmental Engineering, 128(7), 624-634.
- Wörman, A., Packman, A.I., Johansson, H., and Jonsson, K. 2002, Effect of flow-induced exchange in hyporheic zones on longitudinal transport of solutes in streams and rivers, Water Resources Research, 38(1), 1001, DOI:10.129/2001WR000769.
- Ren, J., Packman, A.I., and Welty, C. 2001, Analysis of an observed relationship between colloid collision efficiency and mean collector grain size, Colloids and Surfaces (a), 191(1-2), 133-144.
- Packman, A.I., and Brooks, N.H. 2001, Hyporheic exchange of solutes and colloids with moving bedforms, Water Resources Research, 37(10), 2591-2605.
- Ren, J., Packman, A.I., and Welty, C. 2000, Correlation of colloid collision efficiency with hydraulic conductivity of silica sands, Water Resources Research,36(9), 2493-2500.
- Packman, A.I., Brooks, N.H., and Morgan, J.J. 2000, A physicochemical model for colloid exchange between a stream and a sand streambed with bed forms, Water Resources Research, 36(8), 2351-2361.
- Packman, A.I., Brooks, N.H., and Morgan, J.J. 2000, Kaolinite exchange between a stream and streambed: Laboratory experiments and validation of a colloid transport model, Water Resources Research, 36(8), 2363-2372.
- Packman, A.I., Brooks, N.H., and Morgan, J.J. 1997, Experimental techniques for laboratory investigation of clay colloid transport and filtration in a stream with a sand bed, Water, Air, and Soil Pollution, 99, 113-122.
- Packman, A.I., and Brooks, N.H. 1995, Colloidal particle exchange between stream and stream bed in a laboratory flume, Marine and Freshwater Research, 46, 233-6.
- Patent application, "UV Disinfectant Device for Biofilm Flow Cell,” Packman, A.I., Zhang, W., and Sileika, T., submitted September 27, 2010
In the Classroom
My core teaching philosophy encompasses two main elements:
Technical skills should always be developed in the context of important problems and systems. This not only provides a framework for integrating skills and experiences, thereby improving learning and retention of the primary material, but also provides a strong motivation for learning, contributes to development of problem-solving capability beyond the primary material, and fosters a broad technical background and familiarity with current societal issues.
Every aspect of every course should be a learning opportunity. Transmitting factual information and analytical methodology is straightforward, but broader skills are often de-emphasized in conventional courses. I use assignments such as laboratory exercises, student-led discussions, group projects, and case studies to supplement conventional assessment tools such as examinations and homework assignments.
- CIV ENG 260 Fundamentals of Environmental Engineering
- CIV ENG 440 Environmental Transport Processes
- CIV ENG 448 Biophysicochemical Processes in Environmental Systems
- CIV ENG 516 Seminar in Environmental Engineering