Faculty DirectoryRobert A. Linsenmeier
Professor of Biomedical Engineering
Professor of Neurobiology
Professor of Ophthalmology
Director of Northwestern Center for Engineering Education Research
Contact2145 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL 60208-3107
Email Robert Linsenmeier
Post-doc, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
Post-doc, University of California, San Francisco
Ph.D. Biomedical Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
M.S. Biomedical Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
B.S. Chemical Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA
Microenvironment of the mammalian retina, including oxygen and pH regulation, in health and disease; engineering education research
- Fellow, Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, 2009
- Fellow, Biomedical Engineering Society, 2005
- Bette and Neison Harris Professor of Teaching Excellence, Northwestern University 2003 - 2006
- Fellow, American Institute of Medical and Biological Engineering, 1999
Significant Professional Service
- Chair, College of Fellows, American Institute of Medical and Biological Engineering, 2010
- Editor in Chief, Current Eye Research
- Chair, Third Biomedical Engineering Education Summit Meeting, St. Charles, IL, 2008
- Vice President, American Institute of Medical and Biological Engineering. 2005-2007
- Crosson LA, Kroes RA, Moskal JR, Linsenmeier RA. (2009). Gene expression patterns in hypoxic and post-hypoxic adult rat retina with special reference to the NMDA receptor and its interactome. Molecular Vision 15:296-311. Epub 2009 Feb 9.
- Wang, S., Birol, G., Budzynski, E., Flynn, R. and Linsenmeier, R.A. (2010). Metabolic Responses to Light in Monkey Photoreceptors. Current Eye Research 35(6): 510-518.
- Lee, C.J., Smith, J.H., Kang-Mieler, J.J., Budzynski, E. and Linsenmeier, R.A. (2011). Decreased circulation in the feline choriocapillaris underlying retinal photocoagulation lesions. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science.52:3398-3403.
- Hoffmann, M.E., Rodriguez, S.M., Zeiss, D.M., Wachsberg, K.N., Kushner, R.F., Landsberg, L., and Linsenmeier, R.A. (2012). 24-Hour Core Temperature in Obese and Lean Men and Women. Obesity 20 (8): 1585-1590 doi: 10.1038/oby.2011.380.
- Lau, J.C.M. and Linsenmeier, R.A. (2012). Oxygen distribution and consumption in the Long-Evans rat retina. Exp. Eye Research 102: 50-58
- Aksenov, D., Eassa, J.E., Lakhoo, J., Wyrwicz, A. and Linsenmeier, R.A. (2012). Effect of isoflurane on brain tissue oxygen tension and cerebral autoregulation in rabbits. Neuroscience Letters 524(2): 116-118
- Linsenmeier, R.A. (2012). Oxygen Measurements in Animals. Chapter 4 of Ocular Blood Flow, eds. L. Schmetterer and J.W. Kiel. Berlin Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag, pp 65-93.
- Linsenmeier, R.A. and Troy, J.B (2013) Retinal Bioengineering, Chapter 14 of Neural Engineering, 2nd Edition, ed. B. He. New York:Springer.
- College of Fellows of American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (R.A. Linsenmeier, principal author) (2013). Medical and biological engineering in the next 20 years: the promise and the challenges. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering 60(7): 1767-1775.
- Lau, J.C.M., Kroes, R., Moskal, J., and Linsenmeier, R.A. (2013). Diabetes Changes Expression of Genes Related to Glutamate Neurotransmission and Transport in the Long-Evans Rat Retina. Molecular Vision, 19:1538-1553. PMCID: PMC3716414
- Linsenmeier, R.A., Cole, J.Y. and Glucksberg, M.R. (2014). Some cognitive issues in engineering design. Chapter 10 of Integrating Cognitive Science with Innovative Teaching in STEM Disciplines, eds. M.A. McDaniel, R.F. Frey, S.M. Fitzpatrick, and H.L. Roediger, St. Louis, MO: Washington University Libraries. E-book available from Amazon.com
- Lau, J.C.M. and Linsenmeier, R.A. (2014). Increased intraretinal PO2 in short term diabetic rats. Diabetes, published ahead of print July 15, 2014