Faculty DirectoryMark C. Hersam
Walter P. Murphy Professor of Materials Science and Engineering
Professor of Materials Science and Engineering
Director, Materials Research Science and Engineering (MRSEC)
Contact2220 Campus Drive
Cook Hall 2036; Office - Cook 1017A
Evanston, IL 60208
Email Mark Hersam
Ph.D. Electrical Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana, Champaign, IL
M.Phil. Microelectronic Engineering and Semiconductor Physics, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
B.S. Electrical Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana, Champaign, IL
Nanomaterials for Electronics, Sensing, and Energy
The Hersam Research Group applies the fundamental paradigm of materials science and engineering (i.e., the development of structure-property-processing-performance relationships) to hybrid hard and soft materials at the nanometer length scale. In many cases, the objective is to apply organic molecules to inorganic substrates in an effort to increase the functionality of the resulting hybrid system (e.g., silicon-based molecular electronics and graphene-based sensing). In other instances, an experimental technique that was originally developed for inorganic materials is adapted for the study of organic or biological systems (e.g., probing ion channels and organic photovoltaic devices using conductive atomic force microscopy).
This highly interdisciplinary research is enabled by a sophisticated suite of instrumentation including ultra-high vacuum (UHV) scanning tunneling microscopy (STM), atomic force microscopy (AFM), and additional equipment for studying the electrical and optical properties of materials.
Ongoing research projects range from fundamental studies (e.g., single molecule spectroscopy with UHV STM) to applied technology development (e.g., optimization of carbon nanotube and graphene materials for electronic and optical devices).
Overall, this research has wide impact in the fields of information technology, energy technology, biotechnology, and nanotechnology.
- MacArthur Fellowship, 2014
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) Fellow, 2014
- ACS Arthur K. Doolittle Award in Polymeric Materials Science and Engineering, 2013
- APS Fellow, 2012
- MRS Fellow, 2012
- SPIE Fellow, 2012
- AVS Fellow, 2012
- Materials Research Society Outstanding Young Investigator Award, 2010
- SES Research Young Investigator Award, Electrochemical Society, 2010
- Teacher of the Year Award, Materials Science and Engineering, Northwestern University, 2009
- Teacher of the Year Award, Materials Science and Engineering, Northwestern University 2007
- Young Alumni Achievement Award, ECE Department, UIUC, 2007
- AVS Peter Mark Award, 2006
- TMS Robert Lansing Hardy Award, 2006
- Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers, 2005
- Office of Naval Research Young Investigator Award, 2005
- Army Research Office Young Investigator Award, 2005
- Alfred P. Sloan Research Fellowship, 2005
- Teacher of the Year in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering, 2003
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award, 2002
- Arnold and Mabel Beckman Young Investigator Award, 2001
- IBM Distinguished Fellowship, 1999
- National Science Foundation Graduate Fellowship, 1997
- British Marshall Scholarship, 1996
J. Kang, S. A. Wells, J. D. Wood, J.-H. Lee, X. Liu, C. R. Ryder, J. Zhu, J. R. Guest, C. A. Husko, and M. C. Hersam, "Stable aqueous dispersions of optically and electronically active phosphorene," Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA, 113, 11688 (2016).
C. R. Ryder, J. D. Wood, S. A. Wells, Y. Yang, D. Jariwala, T. J. Marks, G. C. Schatz, and M. C. Hersam, "Covalent functionalization and passivation of exfoliated black phosphorus via aryl diazonium chemistry," Nature Chemistry, 8, 597 (2016).
C. R. Ryder, J. D. Wood, S. A. Wells, and M. C. Hersam, "Chemically tailoring semiconducting two-dimensional transition metal dichalcogenides and black phosphorus," ACS Nano, 10, 3900 (2016).
D. Jariwala, S. L. Howell, K.-S. Chen, J. Kang, V. K. Sangwan, S. A. Filippone, R. Turrisi, T. J. Marks, L. J. Lauhon, and M. C. Hersam, "Hybrid, gate-tunable, van der Waals p-n heterojunctions from pentacene and MoS2," Nano Lett., 16, 497 (2016).
M. L. Geier, J. J. McMorrow, W. Xu, J. Zhu, C. H. Kim, T. J. Marks, and M. C. Hersam, "Solution-processed carbon nanotube thin-film complementary static random access memory," Nature Nanotechnology, 10, 944 (2015).
V. K. Sangwan, D. Jariwala, I. S. Kim, K.-S. Chen, T. J. Marks, L. J. Lauhon, and M. C. Hersam, "Gate-tunable memristive phenomena mediated by grain boundaries in single-layer MoS2," Nature Nanotechnology, 10, 403 (2015).
E. B. Secor, B. Y. Ahn, T. Z. Gao, J. A. Lewis, and M. C. Hersam, "Rapid and versatile photonic annealing of graphene inks for flexible printed electronics," Advanced Materials, 27, 6683 (2015).
D. Jariwala, V. K. Sangwan, J.-W. T. Seo, W. Xu, J. Smith, C. H. Kim, L. J. Lauhon, T. J. Marks, and M. C. Hersam, "Large-area, low-voltage, antiambipolar heterojunctions from solution-processed semiconductors," Nano Letters, 15, 416 (2015).