Faculty DirectoryCharles H. Dowding
Associate Chair of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Contact2145 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL 60208-3109
Email Charles Dowding
Ph.D. Civil Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana, Champaign, IL
M.S. Civil Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana, Champaign, IL
B.S. Civil Engineering, University of Colorado at Boulder, Boulder, CO
Construction Vibrations, Rock Blasting, Rock Mechanics, Subsurface Exploration Decisions, Micrometer Crack Response
- Micrometer Crack Response to Vibration and Weather,International Society of Explosive Engineers, Cleveland, OH,2008,409 pp.
- Construction Vibrations, Prentice Hall Inc., Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1996, 620pp. Third Printing 2008 ( now available through Amazon.com by author)
- GeoMeasurement by Pulsing TDR Cables and Probes. K.M. OConnor & C.H. Dowding, CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 1999, 350 pp.
- Blast Vibration Monitoring and Control (1985), Prentice Hall Inc., Saddle River, NJ, 297 pp. Translated into Chinese by the Safety and Environmental Protection Institute, Wuhan, PRC, and Japanese by Sankaido Book Pub. Co., Tokyo, JAPAN. Third Printing 2003.
- “Real-Time Monitoring of Subsidence Along I-70 in Washington, Pennsylvania,” (w/ K.M. OConnor, R.J. Clark, & D.J. Whitlatch) Geo-Strata, Feb 2009, pp 39-42.
- “Lucid Dreaming: Reliable Analog Event Detection for Energy Constrained Applications (w/ Jevtic, S., Kotowsky, M., Dick, & R.P., Dinda, P.A.)International Conference on Information Processing in Sensor Networks IPSN07, IPSN/SPOTS Proceedings, Cambridge, MA, USA. April, 2007.
- “Accelerated Protocol for Measurement of Carbonation through a Crack Surface”, (with L. Sullivan-Green, and Hime, W.) Cement and Concrete Research, Elsevier, Vol. 37, 2007, pp. 916–923.
- “Response of Test House to Vibroseis Vibrations and Environmental Forces,” (w/ D.L. Teasdale, J.L. Kiker, L.L. Oriard, and S.J. Morrison). Journal of Environmental and Engineering Geosciences, Vol. XII, No. 1, Feb 2006, pp. 25-37.
- “Comparison of Crack Response to Long-Term Weather and Blasting Vibration Effects” (with L.McKenna), Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 131, No. 9, Sept. 2005.
- “Finite-Element Analysis of Time Domain Reflectometry Cable-Grout-Soil Interaction” (w/ J. T. Blackburn), Journal of the Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering Division, ASCE, Vol. 130, No 3, March 2004, pp 231-239.
1. Soil Shear Measurement with Time Domain Reflectometry (Applied for 1994)
2. Water Pressure Measurement with Time Domain Reflectometry (Applied for 1993)