Faculty DirectoryKaren Chou
Assistant Chair of Civil & Environmental Engineering
Clinical Professor of Civil & Environmental Engineering
Contact2145 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL 60208-3109
Email Karen Chou
Ph.D. Structural Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
M.S. Structural Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
B.S. Civil Engineering, Tufts University, Medford, MA
Structural reliability and safety; structural health monitoring; engineering education; development of engineering learning tools
- Civil Engineer of the Year, Illinois Section ASCE, 2012
- Certificate of Commendation for exceptional service as faculty advisor of Northwestern University ASCE Student Chapter (2012); University of Tennessee ASCE Student Chapter (1999), ASCE National.
- Charles W. Britzius Distinguished Engineer Award, Minnesota Federation of Engineering, Science and Technology Societies, 2010
- Teaching Recognition, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, The University of Tennessee, 2001
Significant Professional Service
- ABET Civil Engineering Program Evaluator
- Member of Editorial Board, International Journal of Structural Safety
- Member, Alumninum Association Engineering Advisory Committee
- Fellowships Review Panel, NSF, ASEE
- Fulbright Specialist Program Peer Reviewer
- MOAVENI, S. and CHOU, K.C. (2016) “Using the Five Whys Method in the Classroom: How to Turn Students into Problem Solvers”, Journal of STEM Education: Innovation & Research, Volume 17, Issue 4, December.
- CHOU, K.C., MOAVENI, S., and SAPP, J.D. (2017) “The Virtual Steel Sculpture – Limit State Analyses and Applications of Steel Connections”, Journal of STEM Education: Innovation & Research, Volume 18, Issue 1 (in print).
- MOAVENI, S., KRUDTONG, S., and CHOU, K.C. (2016) “Finite Element Modeling of Bolted Connections for a Steel Sculpture”, Journal of STEM Education: Innovation & Research, Volume 17, Issue 4, December.
- CHOU, K.C., MOAVENI, S., and DRANE, D. (2016) “Virtual Steel Connection Sculpture – Student Learning Assessment”, Journal of STEM Education: Innovation & Research, Volume 17, Issue 3, July-September, pp.5 - 13.
- MOAVENI, S. and CHOU, K.C. (2015) “Teaching Steel Connections Using an Interactive Virtual Steel Sculpture”, Journal of STEM Education: Innovation & Research, Volume 16, Issue 4, pp. 61-68.
- MOAVENI, S. and CHOU, K.C. (2011) “An Inverse Solution for Reconstruction of the Area Moment of Inertia of a Beam Using Deflection Data”, Inverse Problems in Science and Technology, DOI:10.1080/17415977.2011.605883. Sept.
- CHOU, K.C. and MOAVENI, S. (2009) “Web-Based Interactive Steel Sculpture for the Google Generation”, Journal of STEM Education: Innovations & Research, Vol. 10, Issue 3& 4, pp 50-59.
- CHOU, K.C. and NYKANEN, D. (2009) “Bringing Professional Experience into the Classroom – Faculty Experiences”, 2009 ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition, AC2009-2208, Austin, TX, June 14-17.
- MOAVENI, S., NYKANEN, D., and CHOU, K.C. (2009) “Perspectives on "Career and Family" Alternatives for Female Engineering Faculty”, 2009 ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition, AC2009-2069, Austin, TX, June 14-17.
- MOAVENI, S. and CHOU, K. (2008) “An Innovative Approach to A Cross-Disciplinary Senior Design Project”, International Journal of Modern Engineering, Volume 8, No. 2, spring/summer, pp. 61-66.
- CHOU, K.C., WILDE, W.J. and MOAVENI, S. (2007) “Subcontracting Senior Design Project in Civil Engineering”, Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice, ASCE, Volume13, Issue 3, pp. 171-180, July.
- CHOU, K.C., INGRAM, E., and COROTIS, R.B. (2005) “Optimization Approach to the use of Goodness-of-Fit Test”, Proceedings of 9th International Conference on Structural Safety and Reliability ICOSSAR’05, June.