Faculty DirectoryKaren Chou
Assistant Chair of Civil & Environmental Engineering
Clinical Professor of Civil & Environmental Engineering
Contact2145 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL 60208-3109
Email Karen Chou
Ph.D. Structural Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
M.S. Structural Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
B.S. Civil Engineering, Tufts University, Medford, MA
Structural reliability and safety; structural health monitoring; engineering education; development of engineering learning tools
- Civil Engineer of the Year, Illinois Section ASCE, 2012
- Certificate of Commendation for exceptional service as faculty advisor of Northwestern University ASCE Student Chapter (2012); University of Tennessee ASCE Student Chapter (1999), ASCE National.
- Charles W. Britzius Distinguished Engineer Award, Minnesota Federation of Engineering, Science and Technology Societies, 2010
- Teaching Recognition, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, The University of Tennessee, 2001
Significant Professional Service
- ABET Civil Engineering Program Evaluator
- Member of Editorial Board, International Journal of Structural Safety
- Member, Alumninum Association Engineering Advisory Committee
- Fellowships Review Panel, NSF, ASEE
- Fulbright Specialist Program Peer Reviewer
- MOAVENI, S. and CHOU, K.C. (2015) “Teaching Steel Connections Using an Interactive Virtual Steel Sculpture", Journal of STEM Education: Innovation & Research, Volume 16, issue 4, pp. 40-47.
- MOAVENI, S. and CHOU, K.C. (2011) “An Inverse Solution for Reconstruction of the Area Moment of Inertia of a Beam Using Deflection Data”, Inverse Problems in Science and Technology. DOI:10.1080/17415977.2011.605883.
- MOAVENI, S. and CHOU, K. (2009) “Conceptual Mechanics: A Holistic Approach to Introducing Engineering Mechanics to Freshman Students,” Chapter 17 of Innovation 2009 – World Innovations in Engineering Education and Research, International Network for Engineering Education and Research (iNEER), pp 203-218. (Invited submission and refereed)
- CHOU, K.C. and MOAVENI, S. (2009) “Making Steel Sculpture Available Online to Students in Developing Countries”, International Journal of Modern Engineering, Volume 10, No.1, pp 45-54.
- CHOU, K.C. and MOAVENI, S. (2009) “Web-Based Interactive Steel Sculpture for the Google Generation”, Journal of STEM Education: Innovations & Research, Vol. 10, Issue 3& 4, pp 50-59.
- MOAVENI, S. and CHOU, K. (2008) “An Innovative Approach to A Cross-Disciplinary Senior Design Project”, International. Journal of Modern Engineering, Volume 8, No. 2, spring/summer, pp. 61-66.
- CHOU, K.C., WILDE, W.J. and MOAVENI, S. (2007) “Subcontracting Senior Design Project in Civil Engineering”, Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice, ASCE, Volume13, Issue 3, pp. 171-180, July.
- CHOU, K.C., WILDE, W.J., and MOAVENI, S. (2005) “Integrating Major Design Experience throughout a Small Civil Engineering Program – a 2-Year Assessment and Implementation”, Chapter 17 of Innovation 2005 – World Innovations in Engineering Education and Research, International Network for Engineering Education and Research (iNEER), pp 188-198. (Invited submission and refereed)
- KOGUT, G.F. and CHOU, K.C. (2004) “Partial Resistance Factor Design on Steel-Concrete Beam-Columns”, Engineering Structures, 26, pp.857-866.
- CHOU, K.C., COX, G.C., and LOCKWOOD, A.M. (2004) “Crack growth life model for fatigue susceptible structural components in aging aircraft”, Structural Engineering and Mechanics, Vol. 17, No. 1: 29-50.
- MOLINA, A.V. and CHOU, K.C. (2002) “Evaluation of Existing Bridges Using Neural Networks”, Structural Engineering and Mechanics, Vol. 13, No.2, pp.187-209.