McCormick School of Engineering, Northwestern University
Professor of Materials Science and Engineering
Director, Materials Research Institute
Materials Research Institute
2220 Campus Drive
Cook Hall 2036; Office - Cook 2011
Evanston, IL 60208
Post-doc, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ
Ph.D. Plasma Physics, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ
S.B. Physics, MIT, Cambridge, MA
Our group focuses on the following studies:
Unconventional Solar Cell Design, Fabrication and Analysis: Using state-of-the-art materials science and technology approaches, we are constructing one of a kind high efficiency solar cells.
Nanostructured Carbon Sheets, Tubes and Molecules: Recently we developed a technique whereby large quantities of nano-structured carbon materials can be grown at high temperatures. These very high-quality nanomaterials have been used to fabricate flat panel displays and energy-generation and storage devices.
Photonic crystals: The fabrication of ZnO-based photonic crystals that can also lase has been an important part of the group research. We are currently imbedding quantum dots into these materials to study resonant effects for highly sensitive detection of molecules.
Amorphous Semiconducting Oxide Films: We have been studying a class of unique complex amorphous oxide films which have high optical transparency and electron mobility. A fundamental understanding of this exotic material system will lead to the development of a new generation of transparent field effect integrated circuits and energy systems.
Nanostructured Plasmonic Materials in the Infrared: We have started the investigation of 2-D and 3D oxide-based plasmonic materialsfor the purpose of molecular detection and manipulation in the infrared region of the spectrum. This effort will advance the understanding of molecular chemistry and dynamics.
- Materials Research Society (MRS): President, 1989; Fellow, 2008; Woody Award, 1987; Councilor, 1986-8 & 1992-4
- Honorary Member of Materials Research Societies of India, Japan and Korea
- Siu Lien Ling Wong Fellow, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 1999
- Fellow, American Vacuum Society
- NSF Director's Distinguished Teaching Scholar Award, 2005
Significant Professional Service
- Member, International Advisory Board of NIMS, Japan
- Member, "Visionary Board" of MINATEC, CEA, France
- General Secretary & Founding President, International Union of Materials Research Societies (IUMRS)
- Mason, Thomas O.; Chang, Robert P. H.; Adler, Alexander U.; Yeh, Ted C.; Bruce Buchholz, D., “Quasi-reversible point defect relaxation in amorphous In-Ga-Zn-O thin films by in situ electrical measurements”, Applied Physics Letters, (2013)
- Chang, Robert P. H.; Tice, Daniel B.; Weinberg, David J.; Mathew, Nathan; Weiss, Emily A., “Measurement of wavelength-dependent polarization character in the absorption anisotropies of ensembles of CdSe nanorods”, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, (2013)
- et al.; Hennek, Jonathan W.; Tice, Daniel B.; Guo, Xugang; Zhou, Nanjia, “Polymer solar cells with enhanced fill factors”, Nature Photonics, (2013)
- Zhang, Shiming; Facchetti, Antonio; Marks, Tobin J.; Ortiz, Rocio Ponce; Chang, Robert P. H., “Bithiophene imide and benzodithiophene copolymers for efficient inverted polymer solar cells”, Advanced Materials, (2012)
- Chang, Robert P. H.; Lee, Byunghong; Hwang, Dae-Kue; Kim, Dae-Hwan, “Efficiency enhancement in dye-sensitized solar cells by three-dimensional photonic crystals”, Applied Physics Express, (2012)
- Dravid, Vinayak P.; Buchholz, D. Bruce; Chang, Robert P. H.; Yan, Aiming; Sun, Tao, “Multi-scale order in amorphous transparent oxide thin films”, Journal of Applied Physics, (2012)
- Chang, Robert P.H.; Tice, Daniel B.; Weiss, Emily A.; Evans, Christopher M.; Cass, Laura C., “Review of the synthesis and properties of colloidal quantum dots: The evolving role of coordinating surface ligands”, Journal of Coordination Chemistry, (2012)
- Bedzyk, Michael J.; Proffit, Diana E.; Mason, Thomas O.; Ma, Qing; Buchholz, Donald B., “Structural and physical property studies of amorphous Zn-In-Sn-O thin films”, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, (2012)