Faculty DirectoryKenneth Shull
Professor of Materials Science and Engineering
Contact2220 Campus Drive
Cook Hall 2036; Office - Cook 2083
Evanston, IL 60208
Email Kenneth Shull
Ph.D. Materials Science, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
M.S. Electronic Materials, MIT, Cambridge, MA
B.S. Materials Science, MIT, Cambridge, MA
Our focus is on the properties of polymer surfaces and interfaces, with an emphasis on the adhesion of "soft materials." Examples range from traditional pressure-sensitive adhesives (sticky tape) to highly specialized polymeric gels commonly used in biomedical applications.
There is little understanding of the relationship in these systems between polymer adhesion and the structure of the interface on molecular or submolecular scale. We seek to make this connection through studies of well-characterized model systems synthesized in our own lab and through carefully designed fracture mechanics experiments.
Related problems of interest to us include polymer/inorganic composites and the origins of adhesion and mechanical response in biological systems.
- Fellow, American Physical Society, 2002
- NSF Young Investigator Award, 1994–99
- Department Teacher of the Year, 1995
- McCormick Adviser of the Year, 1998
- Noah Metoki, Kazi Sadman, Kenneth Shull, Noam Eliaz, Daniel Mandler, “Electro-Assisted Deposition of Calcium Phosphate on Self-Assembled Monolayers”, Electrochimica Acta, (2016)
- C. Joshua Yeh, Matt Dowland, Randall G. Schmidt, Kenneth R. Shull, “Fracture and thermal aging of resin-filled silicone elastomers”, Journal of Polymer Science, Part B: Polymer Physics, (2016)
- Elizabeth J. Martin, Kazi Sadman, Kenneth R. Shull, “Anodic Electrodeposition of a Cationic Polyelectrolyte in the Presence of Multivalent Anions”, Langmuir, (2016)
- Alexis Chennevire, Fabrice Cousin, Franois Bou, Eric Drockenmuller, Kenneth R. Shull, Liliane Lger, Frdric Restagno, “Direct Molecular Evidence of the Origin of Slip of Polymer Melts on Grafted Brushes”, Macromolecules, (2016)
- Evan J. Laprade, Chya Yan Liaw, Zhang Jiang, Kenneth R. Shull, “Mechanical and microstructural characterization of sulfonated pentablock copolymer membranes”, Journal of Polymer Science, Part B: Polymer Physics, (2015)
- Ha Kyung Kwon, Jos W. Zwanikken, Kenneth R. Shull, Monica Olvera De La Cruz, “Theoretical Analysis of Multiple Phase Coexistence in Polyelectrolyte Blends”, Macromolecules, (2015)
- Broadbelt, Linda J.; Shull, Kenneth R.; Casadio, Francesca; Oakley, Lindsay H., “Microkinetic modeling of the autoxidative curing of an alkyd and oil-based paint model system”, Applied Physics A: Materials Science and Processing, (2015)
- Shull, Kenneth R.; Laprade, Evan J.; Jiang, Zhang; Liaw, Chya-Yan, “Mechanical and microstructural characterization of sulfonated pentablock copolymer membranes”, Journal of Polymer Science, Part B: Polymer Physics, (2015)