Faculty DirectorySanjay Mehrotra
Professor of Industrial Engineering and Management Sciences
Contact2145 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL 60208-3109
Email Sanjay Mehrotra
Ph.D. Operations Research, Columbia University, New York, NY
M.S. Industrial Engineering, Columbia University, New York, NY
B.E. Industrial Engineering, University of Roorkee, India
Sanjay Mehrotra is an expert in methodologies for decision making under uncertainty and its applications to problems in Health Systems Engineering. He is the founding director of the Center for Engineering and Health in the Institute for Public Health and Medicine, at Northwestern University.
His current optimization methodology research focus is in the area of Optimization under Uncertainty. He has contributed to algorithmic development in continuous, discrete, stochastic, robust, multi-objective, and risk adjusted optimization. His healthcare engineering work includes predictive modeling, hospital operations modeling, and policy modeling on various problems in healthcare using modern operations research tools.
Mehrotra is widely known for his predictor-corrector method and his contribution to Optimization Research. He is the department editor for the Health Systems Engineering area for the Institute of Industrial Engineers society journal IIE Transactions. He has served as the Optimization department editor for IIE Transactions and Asia Pacific Journal of Operations Research. He has also served on the editorial boards of Operations Research, and Mathematical Programming. He has been a vice-president of chapter/fora and a board member for the Institute for Operations Research and Management Sciences. He is on the board of Health Systems Engineering Alliance.
Professor Mehrotra work is published in journals such as Mathematical Programming, SIAM Journal on Optimization, Mathematics of Operations Research, Operations Research, Optimization Methods and Software, IIE-Transactions, INFORMS Journal on Computing, Journal of Global Optimization, SIAM Journal on Computing, SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis, Analyst, Bioinformatics, BMC BioInformatics, Annals of Surgery, Transplantation, CJASN, Medical Decision Making, and Healthcare Management Science.
Mehrotra's work is published in journals such as Mathematical Programming, SIAM Journal on Optimization, Mathematics of Operations Research, Operations Research, Optimization Methods and Software, IIE-Transactions, INFORMS Journal on Computing, Journal of Global Optimization, SIAM Journal on Computing, SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis, Analyst, Bioinformatics, BMC BioInformatics, Annals of Surgery, and Healthcare Management Science.
1. Jian Hu and Sanjay Mehrotra (2012), “Robust and Stochastically Weighted Multi-Objective Optimization Models and Reformulations,” Operations Research, 69(4), 936-953. Doi:10.1287/opre.1120.1071
2. Sanjay Mehrotra and He Zhang (2013), “Models and Algorithms for Distributionally Robust Least Squares Problems,” Mathematical Programming DOI 10.1007/s10107-013-0681-9
3. Changhyeok Lee, Cong Liu, Sanjay Mehrotra, and Mohammad Shahidehpour (2013), “Modeling Transmission Line Constraints in Two-stage Robust Unit Commitment Problem” IEEE Transactions on Power System, 29(3), 1221-1231
4. Sanjay Mehrotra and David Papp (2014), “A cutting surface algorithm for semi-infinite convex programming, with an application to distributionally robust optimization,” SIAM J. on Optimization, 24(4), 1670-1697
5. Ashley E Davis, Sanjay Mehrotra, Vikram Kilambi, Joseph Kang, Lisa McElroy, Brittany Lapin, Jane Holl, Michael Abecassis, John J Friedewald, Daniela P Ladner (2014), “The Effect of the Statewide Sharing Variance on Geographic Disparity in Kidney Transplantation in the US”, Clinical Journal of American Society of Nephrology, 9(8), 1449-60
6. Kibaek Kim and Sanjay Mehrotra (2015), “A Two-Stage Stochastic Integer Programming Approach to Integrated Staffing and Scheduling with Application to Nurse Management”, Operations Research