Faculty DirectoryRobert Chang
Professor of Materials Science and Engineering
Director, Materials Research Institute
Contact2220 Campus Drive
Cook Hall 2036; Office - Cook 2011
Evanston, IL 60208
Email Robert Chang
Materials Research Institute
Post-doc, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ
Ph.D. Plasma Physics, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ
S.B. Physics, MIT, Cambridge, MA
Our group focuses on the following studies:
Unconventional Solar Cell Design, Fabrication and Analysis: Using state-of-the-art materials science and technology approaches, we are constructing one of a kind high efficiency solar cells.
Nanostructured Carbon Sheets, Tubes and Molecules: Recently we developed a technique whereby large quantities of nano-structured carbon materials can be grown at high temperatures. These very high-quality nanomaterials have been used to fabricate flat panel displays and energy-generation and storage devices.
Photonic crystals: The fabrication of ZnO-based photonic crystals that can also lase has been an important part of the group research. We are currently imbedding quantum dots into these materials to study resonant effects for highly sensitive detection of molecules.
Amorphous Semiconducting Oxide Films: We have been studying a class of unique complex amorphous oxide films which have high optical transparency and electron mobility. A fundamental understanding of this exotic material system will lead to the development of a new generation of transparent field effect integrated circuits and energy systems.
Nanostructured Plasmonic Materials in the Infrared: We have started the investigation of 2-D and 3D oxide-based plasmonic materialsfor the purpose of molecular detection and manipulation in the infrared region of the spectrum. This effort will advance the understanding of molecular chemistry and dynamics.
- Materials Research Society (MRS): President, 1989; Fellow, 2008; Woody Award, 1987; Councilor, 1986-8 & 1992-4
- Honorary Member of Materials Research Societies of India, Japan and Korea
- Siu Lien Ling Wong Fellow, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 1999
- Fellow, American Vacuum Society
- NSF Director's Distinguished Teaching Scholar Award, 2005
Significant Professional Service
- Member, International Advisory Board of NIMS, Japan
- Member, "Visionary Board" of MINATEC, CEA, France
- General Secretary & Founding President, International Union of Materials Research Societies (IUMRS)
- Hsueh Chung Liao, Teck Lip Dexter Tam, Peijun Guo, Yilei Wu, Eric F. Manley, Wei Huang, Nanjia Zhou, Chan Myae Myae Soe, Binghao Wang, Michael R. Wasielewski, Lin X. Chen, Mercouri G. Kanatzidis, Antonio Facchetti, Robert P H Chang, Tobin J. Marks, “Dopant-Free Hole Transporting Polymers for High Efficiency, Environmentally Stable Perovskite Solar Cells”, Advanced Energy Materials, (2016)
- Wei Huang, Li Zeng, Xinge Yu, Peijun Guo, Binghao Wang, Qing Ma, Robert P H Chang, Junsheng Yu, Michael J. Bedzyk, Tobin J. Marks, Antonio Facchetti, “Metal Oxide Transistors via Polyethylenimine Doping of the Channel Layer”, Advanced Functional Materials, (2016)
- Patrick E. Hartnett, H. S S Ramakrishna Matte, Nicholas D. Eastham, Nicholas E. Jackson, Yilei Wu, Lin X. Chen, Mark A. Ratner, Robert P H Chang, Mark C. Hersam, Michael R. Wasielewski, Tobin J. Marks, “Ring-fusion as a perylenediimide dimer design concept for high-performance non-fullerene organic photovoltaic acceptors”, Chemical Science, (2016)
- Jonathan D. Emery, Christian M. Schleptz, Peijun Guo, Robert P H Chang, Alex B F Martinson, “Epitaxial Atomic Layer Deposition of Sn-Doped Indium Oxide”, Crystal Growth and Design, (2016)
- Boya Cui, Li Zeng, Denis Keane, Michael J. Bedzyk, D. Bruce Buchholz, Robert P H Chang, Xinge Yu, Jeremy Smith, Tobin J. Marks, Yu Xia, Antonio F. Facchetti, Julia E. Medvedeva, M. Grayson, “Thermal Conductivity Comparison of Indium Gallium Zinc Oxide Thin Films”, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, (2016)
- S. L. Moffitt, Q. Ma, D. B. Buchholz, R. P H Chang, M. J. Bedzyk, T. O. Mason, “Grazing incidence X-ray absorption characterization of amorphous Zn-Sn-O thin film”, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, (2016)
- Nanjia Zhou, Xugang Guo, Rocio Ponce Ortiz, Tobias Harschneck, Eric F. Manley, Sylvia J. Lou, Patrick E. Hartnett, Xinge Yu, Noah E. Horwitz, Paula Mayorga Burrezo, Thomas J. Aldrich, Juan T. Lpez Navarrete, Michael R. Wasielewski, Lin X. Chen, Robert P H Chang, Antonio Facchetti, Tobin J. Marks, “Marked Consequences of Systematic Oligothiophene Catenation in Thieno[3,4-c]pyrrole-4,6-dione and Bithiopheneimide Photovoltaic Copolymers”, Journal of the American Chemical Society, (2015)
- Feng Hao, Constantinos C. Stoumpos, Peijun Guo, Nanjia Zhou, Tobin J. Marks, Robert P H Chang, Mercouri G. Kanatzidis, “Solvent-Mediated Crystallization of CH3NH3SnI3 Films for Heterojunction Depleted Perovskite Solar Cells”, Journal of the American Chemical Society, (2015)