Faculty DirectoryRobert Chang
Professor of Materials Science and Engineering
Director, Materials Research Institute
Contact2220 Campus Drive
Cook Hall 2036; Office - Cook 2011
Evanston, IL 60208
Email Robert Chang
Materials Research Institute
Post-doc, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ
Ph.D. Plasma Physics, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ
S.B. Physics, MIT, Cambridge, MA
Our group focuses on the following studies:
Unconventional Solar Cell Design, Fabrication and Analysis: Using state-of-the-art materials science and technology approaches, we are constructing one of a kind high efficiency solar cells.
Nanostructured Carbon Sheets, Tubes and Molecules: Recently we developed a technique whereby large quantities of nano-structured carbon materials can be grown at high temperatures. These very high-quality nanomaterials have been used to fabricate flat panel displays and energy-generation and storage devices.
Photonic crystals: The fabrication of ZnO-based photonic crystals that can also lase has been an important part of the group research. We are currently imbedding quantum dots into these materials to study resonant effects for highly sensitive detection of molecules.
Amorphous Semiconducting Oxide Films: We have been studying a class of unique complex amorphous oxide films which have high optical transparency and electron mobility. A fundamental understanding of this exotic material system will lead to the development of a new generation of transparent field effect integrated circuits and energy systems.
Nanostructured Plasmonic Materials in the Infrared: We have started the investigation of 2-D and 3D oxide-based plasmonic materialsfor the purpose of molecular detection and manipulation in the infrared region of the spectrum. This effort will advance the understanding of molecular chemistry and dynamics.
- Materials Research Society (MRS): President, 1989; Fellow, 2008; Woody Award, 1987; Councilor, 1986-8 & 1992-4
- Honorary Member of Materials Research Societies of India, Japan and Korea
- Siu Lien Ling Wong Fellow, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 1999
- Fellow, American Vacuum Society
- NSF Director's Distinguished Teaching Scholar Award, 2005
Significant Professional Service
- Member, International Advisory Board of NIMS, Japan
- Member, "Visionary Board" of MINATEC, CEA, France
- General Secretary & Founding President, International Union of Materials Research Societies (IUMRS)
- Li, Shi-Qiang; Guo, Peijun; Sbuchholz, Bruce D.; Zhou, Wei; Hua, Yi , “Plasmonic-Photonic Mode Coupling in Indium-Tin-Oxide Nanorod Arrays”, ACS Photonics, (2014)
- Loser, Stephen; et al.; Lou, Sylvia J.; Zhou, Nanjia; Lin, Hui, “Morphology-performance relationships in high-efficiency all-polymer solar cells”, Advanced Energy Materials, (2014)
- Buchholz, D. Bruce; Kim, Nam Dong; Casillas, Gilberto; Jos?-Yacaman, Miguel; Chang, Robert P. H., “Hierarchical design for fabricating cost-effective high performance supercapacitors”, Advanced Functional Materials, (2014)
- Zhou, Nanjia; Buchholz, Donald B.; Zhu, Guang; Yu, Xinge; Lin, Hui, “Ultraflexible Polymer Solar Cells Using Amorphous Zinc-Indium-Tin Oxide Transparent Electrodes”, Advanced Materials, (2014)
- Li, Shi-Qiang; Chang, Robert P. H.; Zhou, Wei; Bruce Buchholz, D.; Ketterson, John B., “Ultra-sharp plasmonic resonances from monopole optical nanoantenna phased arrays”, Applied Physics Letters, (2014)
- Ratner, Mark A.; et al.; Lou, Sylvia J.; Timalsina, Amod; Zhou, Nanjia, “Substantial photovoltaic response and morphology tuning in benzo[1,2-b:6,5-b_]dithiophene (bBDT) molecular donors”, Chemical Communications, (2014)
- Wang, Zhengling; Li, Shiqiang; Chang, R.P.H.; Ketterson, John B., “Perfect coupling of light to a periodic dielectric/metal/dielectric structure”, Journal of Applied Physics, (2014)
- Zhu, Q.; Ma, Q.; Bedzyk, M.J.; Mason, T.O.; Chang, R.P.H., “Structural and physical properties of transparent conducting, amorphous Zn-doped SnO 2 films”, Journal of Applied Physics, (2014)