Faculty DirectoryMohan Rao
Contact2145 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL 60208-3109
Email Mohan Rao
Ph.D. University of Colorado 1994
Pre-Doctoral Fellow Harvard University 1993-1994
B.S. (Engineering) University of Michigan 1989
Dr. Rao is a Managing Director at Epsilon Economics and an Adjunct Professor in the Department of Industrial Engineering and Management Sciences at Northwestern University. He specializes in antitrust, intellectual property, and pharmaceutical economics.
Dr. Rao has provided economic analysis in antitrust litigation, including in cases involving monopolization, price fixing, and bid rigging, as well as the interplay between antitrust and intellectual property. His intellectual property experience includes valuing patents, trademarks, and trade secrets across a wide range of industries, including computers, information technology, manufacturing, utilities, consumer products, aviation, chemicals, and pharmaceuticals. He has experience in valuing early stage technologies in the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries. He has studied market structure, competition, and performance of numerous pharmaceutical products, including pricing, marketing and promotion, clinical trials and regulatory approval. He has evaluated commercial success of patented products, including in ANDA actions. Dr. Rao has served as an economics expert in U.S. and foreign courts and in U.S. and international arbitration proceedings.
Dr. Rao is a partner of Expression Therapeutics LLC, a biotechnology firm focused on advanced therapies for treating hemophilia. He serves on the Board of Directors of the Children's Hospital of Chicago, of the Stanley Manley Children’s Research Institute, on the Board of Trustees of the Rotary/One Foundation, and is a member of the Economic Club of Chicago.
When teaching for the Master of Engineering Management program (IEMS404: Financial Issues for Engineers) students are given an introduction to modern finance theory and its practical application to real world business decisions. In the course, students learn to evaluate the financial health of companies and learn how to value various kinds of financial and real assets, with a particular emphasis on the valuation of new technologies. Students also learn how to incorporate risk into their financial decision making; how to use simulation in valuation; and how to think of projects as real options.
- Dr. Rao is a member of the American Economic Association, the Licensing Executives Society (LES), and the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE). He is the Chair of the Valuation Committee of LES.
- IEMS 404 - Financial Issues for Engineers
Significant Professional Service
- 2010 – Present Navigant Economics Managing Director Dr Rao has provided expert testimony in cases involving patent infringement, anti trust, false advertising, breach of contract, trademark infringement, reasonable royalty, and employment litigation.
- 2005 – 2010 LECG global consulting firm Managing Director Dr Rao has provided expert testimony in cases involving patent infringement, anti trust, false advertising, breach of contract, trademark infringement, reasonable royalty, and employment litigation.
- 2000 – 2005 Charles River Associates / InteCap, Inc. Vice President, CRA 2004 -2005 Managing Director, InteCap 2004-2005 Director, InteCap 2000-2003
- 1994 – 2001 University of California, Los Angeles Assistant Professor
- 1993 – 1994 Harvard University Fellow, Government Data Center
"Valuing Intellectual Property in Licensing Transactions," The Licensing Journal, June/July 2008.
"Economic Analysis in Securities Class Certifications," Litigation Services Handbook: The Role of the Financial Expert, 2008 Supplement, Roman L. Weil, Michael J. Wagner, and Peter B. Frank, Editors, New York: John Wiley, 2008 (with Cathy M. Niden).
"Econometric Analysis," Litigation Services Handbook: The Role of the Financial Expert, Fourth Edition, Roman L. Weil, Michael J. Wagner, and Peter B. Frank, Editors, New York: John Wiley, 2007 (with Christian Tregillis).