Faculty DirectoryJoshua Jacobs
William A. Hark, MD/Susanne G. Swift Professor and Chairman of the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at Rush University Medical Center
Director of the Section of Biomaterials Research in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at Rush University Medical Center
Contact2145 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL 60208-3109
Email Joshua Jacobs
BS, Materials Science and Engineering, Northwestern University
MD, University of Illinois Medical School
Our major research focus is on the biocompatibility of permanent orthopaedic implants, particularly joint replacement devices. Also, the biological consequences of wear and corrosion products generated from joint replacement devices.
- President, United States Bone and Joint Decade
- Past Chairman, Council on Research, Quality Assessment and Technology of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Past President, Orthopaedic Research Society
- National Institute of Arthritis, Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases (NIAMS) Advisory Council, 2005
- Elected, International Hip Society, 2000
- Fellow, American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering, 2000
- Career Development Award, Orthopedic Research and Education Foundation
- Otto Aufranc Award, The Hip Society
- Ann Doner Vaughan Kappa Delta Award, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons/Orthopaedic Research Society
- Mark Coventry Award, The Knee Society
Deirmengian, C., Tarabishy, A., Caicedo, M., Hallab, N., Jacobs, J., Della Valle, C.J., Lonner, J., and Booth, R. Infection-Specific Biomarkers in Synovial Fluid. American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons, Dallas, TX, November, 2006. Poster #4.
Della Valle, C.J., Sporer, S., Berger, R., Rosenberg, A., Jacobs, J., and Paprosky, W. Perioperative Testing For Sepsis in Revision Total Knee Arthroplasty. American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons, Dallas, TX, November, 2006. Paper #39.
Goldberg, S.H., Cohen, M.S., Urban, R.M., Jacobs, J.J., King, G.J.W. Modes of Failure in Total Elbow Arthroplasty. Open Meeting of the American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons, San Diego, CA, February, 2007. Paper #28.
Jacobs, J.J., Finnegan, A., and Hallab, N.J. Lymphocyte Dominance in Metal Allergy Responses. Closed Meeting of the Hip Society, Chicago, IL, September, 2008.
Gornet, M.F., Ceola, W.M., Burkus, J.K., Skipor, A.K., and Jacobs, J.J. Serum Metal Ion Levels in Patients with a Titanium Ceramic Composite Metal-on-Metal Cervical Disc Replacement. 23rd Annual Meeting of the North American Spine Society, Toronto, Canada, Poster #128, October, 2008.