The McCormick Office of Career Development coordinates four different work-integrated learning programs for both undergraduate and graduate students. Click the links below to learn more about each of these programs.
Jump to a Section
- Cooperative Engineering Education Program (Co-op)
- Research Experience
- Service Learning
- Program Features & Enrollment
- Past Co-op & Internship Locations
The co-op program allows engineering students the opportunity to integrate periods of classroom study with periods of paid, practical work experience related to their academic major and career goals.
Internships allows engineering students the opportunity to gain practical work experience with an employer in industry, commerce, or government.
Students may engage in a formal engineering research experience, either at a university (including Northwestern University) or a government laboratory.
Open to all McCormick students, service learning provides opportunities to volunteer with a non-profit or publicly-funded organization.
Each work-integrated learning program provides the following student benefits:
- No tuition for work term
- Full-time student status maintained throughout work term
- S/U grade (no impact on GPA)
- Appears on transcript
- Evaluation of experience by both student and employer
Click here to view a PDF outlining the enrollment options for each program.
Click the links below to view Google Maps for each major. These maps identify student co-op and internship job locations from Summer 2010 to present.
Please note: these are not the number of jobs, but rather the number of different geographic locations.
- All co-op and internship job locations
- Applied Math
- Biomedical Engineering
- Chemical and Biological Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Computer Science
- Engineering Combined Studies
- Electrical Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Industrial Engineering and Management Sciences
- Manufacturing and Design Engineering
- Master of Engineering Management
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Master of Biotechnology
- Master of Project Management
- Master of Science, Engineering Design and Innovation
- Master of Science in Analytics
- Master of Science in Information Technology
- Master of Science in Robotics