The McCormick Office of Career Development provides both undergraduates and graduates a variety of valuable opportunities to engage in work-integrated learning while at McCormick.
The co-op program allows undergraduate engineering students to integrate periods of classroom study with periods of paid, practical work experience related to their academic major and career goals.
McCormick internships give undergraduates and master's-level graduate students practical work experience with an employer in industry, commerce, or government. Internships typically take place over one term, usually in the summer quarter.
Graduates and undergraduates may engage in a formal engineering research experience, either at a university (including Northwestern University) or a government laboratory.
Open to both graduates and undergraduates, service learning provides opportunities to volunteer with a non-profit or publicly-funded organization.
program features & enrollment
Student experiences at a Glance
- 52% of co-op students reported leading project teams at work
- 58% of co-ops trained co-workers or clients at work
- 19% of co-ops supervised other employees
- 58% of co-ops interacted with overseas clients or vendors while on co-op
- 33% of co-ops presented technical papers at conferences with or for their co-op employers
- 13% of co-ops published technical papers based on their co-op experience
- 13% of co-ops had their names included on patent applications with their co-op employers
past co-op & internship Locations
Here are links to Google Maps for each major identifying their co-op and internship job locations from Summer 2010 to Summer 2014.
Please note: these are not the number of jobs, but rather the number of different geographic locations.
- All co-op and internship job locations
- Applied Math
- Biomedical Engineering
- Chemical and Biological Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Computer Science
- Engineering Combined Studies
- Electrical Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Industrial Engineering and Management Sciences
- Manufacturing and Design Engineering
- Master of Engineering Management (MEM)
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Master of Biotechnology
- Master of Project Management
- Master of Science, Engineering Design and Innovation (EDI)
- Master of Science in Analytics
- Master of Science in Information Technology