Master's and PhD Degrees
Financial Support & Fellowships

Most full-time graduate students in theoretical and applied mechanics who are making satisfactory progress toward their degrees secure continuous financial support for the duration of their studies. Aid is available in the form of fellowships, research assistantships, or teaching assistantships; each covers tuition and provides a stipend. The University also provides paid health insurance for six years.


Fellowships are available to students intending to pursue a PhD program. The Walter P. Murphy and Royal E. Cabell Fellowships are endowed fellowships that enable outstanding students to pursue their first year of their graduate study with minimal teaching or research obligations. Fellowships for underrepresented minority group members are available for new and continuing students through various sources.

Research Assistantships

Research assistantships are available to PhD students. Research assistantships are funded by grants or contracts secured by individual professors. Research assistants work closely with their advisors, and the majority of their efforts are devoted to thesis research. Some new students and most continuing students are supported through research assistantships.

Teaching Assistantships

Teaching assistantships are offered to well-qualified graduate students. These are usually temporary assignments requiring about 20 hours per week of student contact, recitation, and grading.

External Fellowships

TAM graduate students are eligible for a variety of externally supported fellowships. If you meet the requirements for any of the following fellowships, we recommend that you apply for them. Not only do they provide income during your graduate study, potentially allowing more freedom during your research endeavors, but they are also an honor to receive and make an excellent addition to your resume. Some of these fellowships are small stipends only, while others provide up to full tuition and stipend. All are excellent opportunities. Apply if you are eligible. Note that for the majority of these fellowships, you must apply during your first year of graduate school.