Student Resources
Miscellaneous Resources

Jump to a Section

Obtaining a Permission Number and Add to Waitlisted

Students should email their requests to this permission address:

Emailed requests must contain the following:

  1. The course number "COMP_SCI __" and the phrase "permission number" in the subject line (this will be automatic if you click on the email address above).
  2. Your full name.
  3. Major and level (e.g. freshman, sophomore, etc.).
  4. Instructor's name.
  5. Your phone number (not required but useful to us if your email bounces back).

(Special note for "instructor consent" courses: Students must speak with the professor listed in CAESAR before requesting a permission number.)

Return to Top

Enrollment/Degree Verification

For more information, see the Registrar's Enrollment Verification website.

Return to Top

Questions About Undergraduate Curriculum, Plan of Study, Prerequisites, Course Requirements

You may email with your question and we will get back to you as fast as possible. Or you can stop by Mudd 3546 and talk with Melissa Duong. You can also call her at 847-467-7745.

Return to Top

Upcoming Master's/PhD Prospectus Oral or Final Defense

You'll need to complete the examination request form a few weeks in advance. Also, be sure to check in with the Graduate Student Affairs Office personnel in Tech L351 (phone: 847-467-2165) for specific requirements, and make sure your adviser knows what your plans are. Read the appropriate sections of the CS MS Graduate Study Manual, CS PhD Manual, or the CE Graduate Study Manual for pertinent information.

Return to Top

Confirmation Letter for Travel or Visa Renewal

Please stop by Tech L351 or email Graduate Student Affairs Office.

Return to Top

Northwestern Graduate School (TGS) English Language Programs

Address: 2016 Sheridan Road, Evanston, IL 60208-409
TGS English Language Programs

Return to Top

Permission Numbers for TGS Courses

Permission numbers for TGS courses must be obtained from The Graduate School, 633 Clark Street, Evanston.

Return to Top

Travel Arrangements

Your PI can help you arrange your travel. University Services offers many resources on their Travel Services page. There you will find information on booking, discounts, policies, and forms for University business travel. Undergraduate students who apply for a Conference Travel Support Grant must be either presenting an accepted paper or an accepted poster at the conference for which they are seeking travel support. Our travel support grants are normally for graduate students who are presenting an accepted paper/poster, but undergrads who are presenting an accepted paper/poster at a conference are eligible to apply as well.

Travel Reimbursement Procedures

Check out the McCormick Expense Report Review Checklist.

Read more Travel Reimbursement Procedures.

Mileage Reimbursement

Effective January 1, 2019, the rate for mileage reimbursement increased to $0.58 per mile. This rate is based on U.S. Federal Government reimbursement rates. This reimbursement covers all fuel, maintenance, insurance, transportation, and operating costs. Fuel costs are included in the per-mile reimbursement rate and are not reimbursed separately for use of privately owned vehicles.

Car Rental

As per policy, use of rental car is allowed and will not be counted as part of per diem. You will, however, need to submit separate receipts and an exception form for it. When renting a car, a business purpose needs to be provided. Also, you will need to justify that the amount for renting a car was cheaper than the total combined transportation charge if cabs we used (as indicated in line 1 of the excerpt below). In most cases, acceptable reasons could be:

  1. The car was used to transport multiple people because it was a trip that involved more than one person.
  2. The place of destination or visit was a suburb, thus, the unavailability of cabs and a rental car was needed.
  3. The car was used to transport equipment while in the field.

Excerpt of NU Car Rental Policy: (Page 10 of the travel policy)

Commercial rental vehicles should be used only when it is not possible to use the Motor Pool, as follows:

  1. Commercial rental vehicles should not be used if less expensive transportation is available.
  2. The University's designated vehicle rental agency should be used whenever possible (please make sure an economy class car is used. If not, state reason why).
  3. Discount car rental cards are no longer available.
  4. Economy, compact or subcompact vehicles should always be rented. Reimbursement will be made for other types of vehicles in exceptional cases (e.g., several travelers are riding in one car, equipment being transported, etc.)

Useful Links and Downloads

Return to Top

Traveling to Countries with U.S. Department of State Travel Warnings

For more info, please view Global McCormick's website for Travel Tips & Resources: