Faculty DirectoryRamille Shah
Assistant Professor of Materials Science and Engineering - McCormick School of Engineering, Surgery (Transplant Division) - Feinberg School of Medicine, and (by courtesy) Biomedical Engineering - McCormick School of Engineering.
303 E. Superior St., 11th Floor
Chicago, IL 60611-3015
Email Ramille Shah
Ph.D. Biomaterials, MIT, Cambridge, MA
B.S. Materials Science and Engineering (cum laude), Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
The Shah TEAM lab is a leader in the new and developing field of “3D-Printable Materials Development and Characterization”. We develop novel processes for engineering new 3D-inks that greatly expands the variety and functionality of materials that are compatible with the additive manufacturing technique of direct ink writing. An additional focus of the group is defining “printability”, or the characteristics that enable a material ink to be successfully 3D-printed into a bulk structure. We also perform characterization, functional testing, and optimization of resulting 3D-printed structures for both biological and non-biological applications (i.e. for tissue engineering and energy applications).
Located in the heart of the NU Medical Campus in downtown Chicago, the TEAM lab interacts closely with medical clinicians and surgeons (current collaborators in Transplant Surgery, Plastic Surgery, Orthopaedic Surgery, and Obstetrics and Gynecology). Through additional close collaborations with Materials Science and Engineering faculty, the same technologies developed by the TEAM lab for medical applications have been successfully extended to many additional material systems with applications in energy, smart materials, aerospace, and advanced structures.
Significant Professional Service
- Orthopaedic Research Society
- International Cartilage Repair Society
- Association for Women in Science
- Society for Women Engineers
- American Society for Engineering Education Fellow (MIT), 2001-04
- Society for Biomaterials
- Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine International Society
- Jakus, A.E, Taylor, S.L., Geisendorfer, N.R., Dunand, D.C., Shah, R.N., “Metallic Architectures from 3D-Printed Powder-Based Liquid Inks” Advanced Functional Materials (in press).
- Rutz, A.L., Shah, R.N., “Protein-Based Hydrogels” Polymeric Hydrogels as Smart Biomaterials. Springer International Publishing Switzerland, S. Kalia (ed.); 2016, 73-104.
- Jakus, A.E., Rutz, A., Shah, R.N., “Advancing the Field of 3D Biomaterial Printing” Biomedical Materials 2015 (in press).
- Jakus, A.E, Secor, E., Rutz, A., Jordan, S., Hersam, M., Shah, R.N., “Three Dimensional Printing of High-Content Graphene Scaffolds for Electronic and Biomedical Applications” ACS Nano 2015, 9(4), 4636 - Cover.
- Rutz, A.L., Hyland, K.E., Jakus, A.E., Burghardt W.R., Shah, R.N., “A Tunable Bioink Method for Multi-Material 3D Printing of Cell-Laden Extracellular Matrix Hydrogels” Advanced Materials 2015, 27(9),1607.
- Laronda, M.M., Jakus, A.E., Whelan, K.A., Wertheim, J.A., Shah, R.N., Woodruff, T.K., “Initiation of Puberty in Mice Following Decellularized Ovary Transplant” Biomaterials 2015, 50, 20.
- Lee, S.S., Hsu E.L., Mendoza, M., Ghodasra, J., Nickoli, M.S., Ashtekar, A., Polavarapu, M., Babu, J., Riaz, T.M., Nicolas, J.D., Nelson, D., Hashmi, S.Z., Kaltz, S.R., Earhart, J.S., Merk, B.R., McKee, J.S., Bairstow, S.F., Shah, R.N., Hsu, W.K., Stupp, S.I., “Gel Scaffolds of BMP-2-Binding Peptide Amphiphile Nanofibers for Spinal Arthrodesis” Advanced Healthcare Materials 2015, 4(1), 131.
- Ramji, K., Shah R.N., “Electrospun Soy Protein Nanofiber Scaffolds for Tissue Regeneration” J Biomaterials Application 2014, 29(3), 411.
- Chien, K.B., Chung, E.J., Shah R.N., “Investigation of Soy Protein Hydrogels for Biomedical Applications: Materials Characterization, Drug Release, and Biocompatibility” J Biomedical Materials 2014, 28(7), 1085.
- Chien, K.B., Makridakis, E., Shah R.N., “Three-Dimensional Printing of Soy Protein Scaffolds for Tissue Regeneration” Tissue Eng Part C 2013, 9(11), 8983.
- Chien, K.B., Aguado, B., Bryce, P.J., Shah R.N., “Acute and Humoral Response to Three Dimensional Porous Soy Protein Biomaterial Scaffolds” Acta Biomaterialia 2013, 9(11), 8983.
- Chung, E.J, Chien, K.B., Aguado, B.A., Shah, R.N., “Osteogenic Potential of BMP-2-Releasing Self-Assembled Membranes” Tissue Engineering Part A 2013, 19(23-24), 2664.
- Lee, S.S., Huang, B.J, Kaltz, S.R., Sur, S., Newcomb, C.J., Stock, S.R., Shah, R.N., Stupp, S.I., “Bone Regeneration with Low Dose BMP-2 Amplified by Biomimetic Supramolecular Nanofibers within Collagen Scaffolds.” Biomaterials 2013, 34(2), 452.
- Chung, E.J., Jakus, A.E., Shah, R.N., “In Situ Forming Collagen-Hyaluronic Acid Membrane Structures: Mechanism of Self-Assembly and Applications in Regenerative Medicine” Acta Biomaterialia 2013 9(2), 5153.
- Chien, K.B., Shah, R.N., “Novel Soy Protein Scaffolds for Tissue Regeneration: Material Characterization and Interaction with Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells” Acta Biomaterialia 2012, 8(2), 694.