Faculty DirectoryJianmin Qu
Chair of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Walter P. Murphy Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering and (by courtesy) Mechanical Engineering
Contact2145 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL 60208-3109
Email Jianmin Qu
Ph.D. Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
M.S. Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
B.S. Mathematics Jilin University, Changchun, Jilin, China
Dr. Qu’s research interest crosses several areas including micromechanics of composites, interfacial fracture and adhesion, fatigue and creep damage in metallic and polymer materials, fuel cells and batteries, thermomechanical reliability of microelectronic packaging, and ultrasonic nondestructive evaluation of advanced engineering materials. He has authored or co-authored two books and over 170 referred journal papers and book chapters in these areas. His research has been sponsored by various government agencies (NSF, ONR, USAF, US Army, DARPA, DoE, etc.) and private industries (Motorola, Ford Motor Co., IBM, AT&T, GE, Intel, AMD, Northrop Grumman, Rockwell, etc.).
- Outstanding Sustained Technical Contribution Award, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), Components, Packaging, & Manufacturing Technology Society (CPMT), 2008
- Sigma Xi Best Paper Award, 2007
- ASME Electronic and Photonic Packaging Division Outstanding Contribution Award (Engineering Mechanics), 2006
- Changjiang Professorship, Beijing University, 2005-2008
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2001
- Water Arbitration Prize, Institute of Mechanical Engineers, UK, 2001
- Ralph R. Teetor Education Award, SAE, 1996
- Sigma Xi Young Faculty Award, 1994
- Dow Outstanding Young Faculty Award, ASEE, 1993
- Amoco Junior Faculty Teaching Excellence Award, Amoco Foundation, 1992
- Lilly Teaching Fellow, Lilly Endowment, 1992
- Qu, J. and M. Cherkaoui, 2006, Fundamentals of Micromechanics of Solids, John Wiley & Sons Inc., Hoboken, NJ.
- Tang, G. Liu, M, Jacobs, L.J., and Qu, J., 2014, “Detecting Localized Plastic Strain by a Scanning Collinear Wave Mixing Method,” J. Nondestructive Evaluation, Vol. 33, pp 196-204.
- Yang, S., Cui, Z., and Qu, J., 2014, "A Coarse-Grained Model for Epoxy Molding Compound," J. Physical Chemistry Part B, Vol. 118, pp. 1660 – 1669.
- Chen, Z. and Qu, J., 2013, “Dislocation-Induced Acoustic Nonlinearity Parameter in Crystalline Solids,” J. Appl. Physics., Vol. 114, pp. 164906.
- Cui, Z., Gao, F., and Qu, J., 2013, “Interface-Reaction Controlled Diffusion in Binary Solids with Applications to Lithiation of Silicon in Lithium Ion Batteries,” J. Mech. Phys. Solids., Vol. 61, pp. 293 - 310.
- Zhao, X., Duddu, R., Borda, S.P.A., and Qu, J., 2013, “Effects of Elastic Strain Energy and Interfacial Stress on the Equilibrium Morphology of Misfit Particles in Heterogeneous Solids,” J. Mech. Phys. Solids, Vol. 61, pp. 1433–1445.
- Cui, Z., Gao, F., Cui, Z., and Qu, J., 2012, “Developing a Second Nearest-Neighbor Modified Embedded Atom Method Interatomic Potential for Lithium,” Modelling Simul. Mater. Sci. Eng., Vol. 20, pp. 015014.
- Gao, F., Qu, J., and Yao, M., 2011, “Interfacial Thermal Resistance between Metallic Carbon Nanotube and Cu Substrate,” J. Appl. Physics, Vol. 110, 124314.
In the Classroom
Professor Qu has taught courses at both the graduate and undergraduate levels, including statics, dynamics, mechanics of materials, machine design, fracture, elasticity, continuum mechanics, wave propagation in solids, variational methods in solid mechanics, micromechanics, and reliability of microelectronic packaging.