Faculty DirectoryRichard P. Van Duyne
Professor of Chemistry
Professor of Biomedical Engineering
Contact2145 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL 60208-3109
Email Richard Van Duyne
B.S., Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute 1967
Ph.D., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Nanoparticle optics is the primary topic explored in our research group. Our studies focus on exploiting the tunability of the localized surface plasmon resonance to act as a signal transduction mechanism for molecular sensing. We apply localized surface plasmon resonance spectroscopy, surface enhanced Raman spectroscopy, resonant Rayleigh scattering, atomic force microscopy, and electron microscopy to solve problems in electrochemistry, surface science, materials chemistry, and biochemistry.
- 2011 Charles N. Reilley Award, Society for Electroanalytical Chemistry
- 2010 Elected to the National Academy of Sciences
- 2010 Analytical Chemistry Award, American Chemical Society
- 2010 Bomem-Michelson Award, Coblentz Society
- 2008 Ellis R. Lippincott Award, Optical Society America
- 2008 Professeur invite classe exceptionnelle – University Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris
- 2007 National Science Foundation Creativity Extension Award
- 2006 L'Oreal Art and Science of Color Prize, Silver
- 2005 ACS Nobel Laureate Signature Award, American Chemical Society
- 2004 Member, American Academy of Arts and Sciences
- 2004 The Earle K. Plyler Prize for Molecular Spectroscopy, American Physical Society
- 1996 Excellence in Surface Science Award, Surfaces in Biomaterials Foundation
- 1991 Pittsburgh Spectroscopy Award
- 1985 Fellow, American Physical Society
- 1983 Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- 1981 Fresenius Award of Phi Lambda Upsilon
- 1980 Coblentz Memorial Prize in Molecular Spectroscopy
- 1974 Alfred P. Sloan Fellowship
"Structure-Activity Relationships in Gold Nanoparticle Dimers and Trimers for Surface-Enhanced Raman Spectroscopy," K. L. Wustholz, A-I. Henry, J. M. McMahon, R. G. Freeman, N. Valley, M. E. Piotti, M. J.
Natan, G. C. Schatz, and R. P. Van Duyne, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 132, 10903-10910 (2010).
"Identification of Organic Colorants in Fibers, Paints, Glazes and other media by Surface Enhanced Raman Scattering," F. Casadio, M. Leona, J. R. Lombardi and R. P. Van Duyne, Acc. Chem. Res., 43, 782-791 (2010).
"LSPR Imaging: Simultaneous Single Nanoparticle Spectroscopy and Diffusional Dynamics," J. M. Bingham, K. A. Willets, N. C. Shah, D. Q. Andrews, and R. P. Van Duyne, J. Phys. Chem. C, 113, 16839-16842 (2009).
"Correlating the Structure, Optical Spectra, and Electrodynamics of Single Silver Nanocubes," J. M. McMahon, Y. Wang, L. J. Sherry, R. P. Van Duyne, L. D. Marks, S. K. Gray, and G. C. Schatz, J. Phys. Chem. C., 113, 2731-2735 (2009).
"Surface-Enhanced Raman Spectroscopy," P. Stiles, J. Dieringer, N. C. Shah, and R. P. Van Duyne,Ann. Rev. Anal. Chem., 1, 601-626 (2008)
"A Frequency Domain Existence Proof of Single-Molecule Surface Enhanced Raman Spectroscopy," J. A. Dieringer, R. B. Lettan, K. A. Scheidt, and R. P. Van Duyne, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 129, 16249-16256 (2007)