Research and Faculty
McCormick is a diverse and dynamic research institution with a host of interdisciplinary research centers and programs whose results benefit millions of people around the world.
Jump to a Section
- Collaborative Research
- Key Collaborators
- Solving Global Problems
- World-Class Faculty
- Interdisciplinary Research Centers & Offices
Our world is changing at an accelerated pace, and the boundaries between disciplines are blurring. Under these dynamic conditions, we face global challenges at a scale never before seen.
At McCormick, we are making strategic investments in research areas that will drive our progress in the coming years. As these areas intersect, they provide focal points that connect our faculty and students throughout the school.
In addition to collaborating with the different schools and departments across campus and serving as a hub for Northwestern’s interdisciplinary research efforts, McCormick researchers have ongoing collaborations with dozens of universities, organizations, and research centers worldwide. These collaborations are changing the world and expanding the boundaries of our established knowledge.
McCormick’s research enterprise funds more than 1,000 researchers in more than 250 labs.
While the majority of Northwestern’s research funding comes from government sources, corporate sponsored research represents a growing opportunity for McCormick professors. Companies now fund more than 10 percent of research at the school.
Patent and Startup Support
McCormick professors work with Northwestern’s Innovation and New Ventures Office (INVO) to turn their research and innovations into patents and businesses. A hub for innovation at Northwestern, McCormick is consistently responsible for half of all the University’s invention disclosures and faculty startups.
Through the Northwestern-Argonne Institute for Science and Engineering (NAISE), McCormick faculty regularly partner with researchers at Argonne National Laboratory, one of the nation’s oldest and largest science research centers and home to some of the most high-tech facilities in the world.
McCormick works closely with professors and physicians at the Feinberg School of Medicine and Northwestern Memorial Hospital to advance medical progress and inspire new partnerships.
McCormick collaborates frequently with the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, the nation’s top-ranked rehabilitation center, to design better rehabilitation robotics and artificial limbs.
McCormick’s strategic priorities drive our research areas to address some of the most challenging global problems today:
- Systems research ranges from data mining and optimization to synthetic biology and network analysis
- Materials research encompasses everything from computational design of new materials to developing nanomaterials for energy applications
- Health and wellness research includes the development of new tools for diagnosing cancer, less expensive medical devices for emergent nations, and models of how biological processes work
- Energy and environment research aims to find new ways to harness energy sources while making current sources more sustainable
Global McCormick helps all McCormick scholars – including faculty, postdocs, graduate students, and undergraduates – to engage in the global marketplace of talents and ideas and to develop research collaborations worldwide.
Our award-winning faculty, including several national academy members, across disciplines to create new knowledge while maintaining a solid grounding in the fundamentals. They transfer their expertise and passion for their fields to every student and collaborator as they continue to advance scientific and engineering knowledge.
- Argonne-Northwestern Solar Energy Research Center (ANSER)
- Center for Bioengineering Educational Technologies (VaNTH)
- Center for the Commercialization of Innovative Transportation Technology
- Center for Energy Efficient Transportation (CEET)
- Center for Innovation in Global Health Technologies
- Center for Intelligent Processing of Composites (CIPC)
- Center for Leadership at Northwestern University
- Center for Photonic Communications and Computing (CPCC)
- Center for Quality Engineering & Failure Prevention (CQEFP)
- Center for Quantum Devices (CQD)
- Center for Scientific Studies in the Arts (NU-ACCESS)
- Center for Surface Engineering and Tribology
- Center for Ultra-scale Computing and Information Security (CUCIS)
- Falk Center for Molecular Therapeutics
- Farley Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation (FCEI)
- Global McCormick
- Innovation and New Ventures Office (INVO)
- Institute for Catalysis in Energy Processes (ICEP)
- International Institute for Nanotechnology
- Materials Research Institute (MRI)
- Materials Research Science and Engineering Center (MRSEC)
- Motorola Center for Seamless Communication
- Neural Engineering and Human-Robot Systems
- Non-Equilibrium Energy Research Center
- Northwestern-Argonne Institute for Science and Engineering (NAISE)
- Northwestern Center for Engineering Education Research (NCEER)
- Northwestern Institute on Complex Systems (NICO)
- Optimization Center
- Segal Design Institute
- Steel Research Group (SRG)
- The Transportation Center (TC)