Offices & Services
Jump to a Section
- Academic Departments
- Administration, Finance, & Planning
- Alumni Relations & Development
- Career Development
- Corporate Relations
- Customer Service Center
- Faculty Affairs
- Global Initiatives
- Graduate Studies
- Information Technology
- Marketing & Communications
- McCormick Advising System
- Office of the Dean
- Personal Development
- Research Offices
- Undergraduate Engineering
- Lost and Found
The eight academic engineering departments at Northwestern strive for excellence at all levels of undergraduate and graduate education, research, and interdisciplinary collaboration. Contact a department for information about its:
- Degree or certificate programs
- Admissions requirements
- Research opportunities
- Seminars and events
- Faculty and staff
Administration, Finance, & Planning
The Office of Administration, Finance & Planning (AF&P) provides school-wide infrastructure support in three primary categories:
- Finance: including budget management and resource allocation, annual Provost Brief, Cognos, accounting (NU Financials), procurement, faculty and staff payroll, faculty start-up and retention, endowed professorships, salary recovery, and non-sponsored finance policy compliance.
- People/HR: including faculty and staff appointments, staff position management, HRIS, Kronos, staff recruitment, orientation and performance management, staff recognition, staff conflict of interest, employment policy compliance; The Customer Service Center for visas, eVerify, annual report, faculty moves and notary public.
- Facilities/Space/Safety: including Tech and Ford building management, faculty lab renovations, Tech and Ford emergency response and business continuity planning, SIMS, FAMIS, oversight of McCormick space in eight Evanston campus locations.
Alumni Relations & Development
The Office of Alumni Relations and Development coordinates charitable giving of all types to the school, including annual gifts, estate giving, and memorial giving. Interested sponsors can give to Northwestern Engineering online, or contact development for more information.
Engineering Career Development (ECD) provides students with programs and services designed to help them obtain work experience that will complement their academic curriculum. Relevant work experience is available through four different programs: Cooperative Education (Co-op), Internships, Service Learning and Research.
The McCormick Office of Corporate Relations (MOCR) works to connect industry with Northwestern Engineering to:
- Create research partnerships
- Assist with student recruitment
- Facilitate access to state-of-the-art research and testing equipment and faculty expertise
- Connect industries to one another as well as to Northwestern
Customer Service Center
The Customer Service Center (CSC) serves Northwestern Engineering departments, programs, and other offices. CSC is dedicated to being a reliable, efficient, and professional resource to McCormick faculty and staff, offering a range of specialized services:
- Admin on Assignment
- Expense Report Reimbursements
- Center for Centers
- Faculty Moves
- Notary Public Service
- Research Appointments and Visa Information
- Space & Safety and Lab Renovations
The Office of Faculty Affairs acts as a liaison between Northwestern Engineering and the Provost’s Office on behalf of the faculty, assisting in:
- Promotion and tenure
- Leaves of absence, both academic and personal
- Short-term teaching appointments
- Faculty recruiting and hiring
- Emeritus and named professorship appointments
- Faculty retirement planning
- Managerial and personal advice and counsel on faculty personnel and performance matters
- Faculty appointments database management
Global Initiatives provides opportunities, awards, and resources to help the entire school community explore and engage with global scholarly activities anchored by Northwestern Engineering programs and initiatives.
The Office of Graduate Studies supports efforts to recruit, admit, enroll, and graduate students in McCormick master's degree programs, as well as MS and PhD programs available through The Graduate School. The office provides assistance and resources in:
- Northwestern Engineering and departmental operations
- Financial planning and oversight
- Research grant administration
- Coordination of MS and PhD programs
- Graduate student support
- Faculty hiring
- Space and resource allocation
- Strategic planning
The Northwestern Engineering IT department provides the school community with computer and technology support, including:
- Computing labs
- McCormick PC support
- Unix/Linux support
- Web development & programming
- Shared cluster computing space
- MATLAB licensing and support
- Event support and A/V services
- And more
Marketing & Communications
The Office of Marketing and Communications promotes Northwestern Engineering and maintains consistent brand messaging across all media platforms. Marketing provides resources to the engineering community, including:
- Public relations
- Strategic communications
- Brand guidelines and logos
- Web resources
- Presentation resources
- Digital signage guidelines for hallway monitors
- Event planning
McCormick Advising System
The McCormick Advising System guides undergraduate students as they begin their academic careers, choose and pursue their majors, and complete their graduation requirements.
Office of the Dean
Dean Julio M. Ottino and staff provide strategic vision and leadership for Northwestern Engineering, overseeing its operations and ensuring continued excellence in engineering education and research.
The McCormick Office of Personal Development (MOPD) assists students in both their academic and extracurricular lives by helping them:
- Explore opportunities for growth
- Engage with the community to find new areas to thrive
- Transform themselves by reflecting on their experiences
Office of Research Administration
The Office of Research Administration assists Northwestern Engineering faculty in pursuing and managing external funding as they engage in research.
The office provides assistance with all aspects of sponsored funding, but particularly with the administrative details of proposal preparation and award management.
Other northwestern research offices
INVO provides support for Northwestern’s research community through faculty outreach, business development and new ventures, and intellectual property and licensing.
The Office for Research oversees all research endeavors at Northwestern and provides resources relating to funding, training, contact information for offices and deans, and more.
The Office of Undergraduate Engineering provides operations and administrative support for the following areas:
- Northwestern Engineering student body: Aiding in day-to-day operations of McCormick registered student organizations, liaising with support offices across campus to enhance the undergraduate experience, overseeing advising and registration processes for engineering undergraduates
- Curricula and courses: Assuring that degree requirements are consistent with faculty intentions and that courses are offered to best serve faculty and students; maintaining relevant academic records including the official degree audit
- Personal growth of students: Serving as a resource for students with questions on academic requirements and policies, supporting students encountering academic difficulty, providing opportunities for students to grow personally as well as academically, seeking to continually improve the academic advising experience for students and faculty
- Academic procedures: Enforcing the academic integrity policy; overseeing academic options such as certificates and minors offered within the School of Engineering
- Graduation: Managing the School of Engineering undergraduate graduation ceremony held in June. Click here for frequently asked questions.
Lost and Found
The Office of Undergraduate Engineering (Tech L268 — Map it) serves as the central repository for any items found in any part of the Tech building and surrounding grounds. Items may be retrieved during normal business hours. You may also call 847-491-4363 or email email@example.com.