Career Development Seminar Series Offered for McCormick Graduate Students and Alumni
McCormick graduate students, professional master's students, and alumni are invited to attend the Professional Development/Career Management Seminar Series, led by Aaron Gellman, professor of transportation at the McCormick Transportation Center and of management and strategy at the Kellogg School of Management.
This six-week, non-credit course (which offers three classes in the fall and three in spring) is designed to provide graduate students and alumni with tools to manage their careers in engineering, technology, and the sciences.
Gellman has assembled a dynamic group of speakers who will teach students how to manage their careers and meet their personal goals. There will be two lectures per session.
Fall Quarter 2009
Class dates: Tuesday, Oct. 6, Oct. 13, Oct. 20
6:30 p.m. — 9:30 p.m.
Tuesday, Oct. 6:
- Career Planning & Options in Engineering, Technology and the Sciences
Speaker: Humberto Vainieri, former president & CEO of UOP (leading licensor of technology for refining, petrochemicals & gas processing industries); former executive director of BP, London
- Career Options: Public vs. Private; Large Firms vs. Small
Speaker: Aaron J. Gellman, Professor of Transportation, The Transportation Center (McCormick) and of Management & Strategy (Kellogg)
Tuesday, Oct. 13
- Conveying your Strengths and Goals: Why Promoting Yourself is Not Unprofessional
Speaker: Clarke Caywood, director, Graduate Program in Corporate Public Relations; professor, Department of Integrated Marketing Communications, Medill School of Journalism
Tuesday, Oct. 20
- Determining One's Instinctive and Natural Strengths: the Kolbe Indexâ„¢
Speaker: David Kolbe, CEO, The Kolbe Corporation
- Dimensions of Compensation and Negotiating for Them
Speaker: Dr. Boyd Falconer, senior adviser, Aviation & Aerospace Group, Korn / Ferry International
Spring Quarter 2010
Class dates: TBD
- Career planning and options in engineering, technology and the sciences
- Family and career
- Investing over your career
- Continuing education and professional societies
- Networking and mentoring
- Ensuring career success
Classes will be held in the Technological Institute. There is no charge but registration is required. To register, please click here.