Web Development & Programming Services
Jump to a Section
- Informational Websites
- Web Applications
- Services Fee
- Project Scheduling
- How to Make a Request
- Browser Support
McCormick IT provides website creation services for organizations in the McCormick community. The web server space needed to put a website online is a complementary service provided by McCormick IT’s Linux Support Services team.
The tool used by site owners to update site content is the University’s centrally supported Cascade Server Web Content Management System.
Key project components in creating a new website:
- Visual Design (in adherence with McCormick branding standards and University identity standards)
- Web Browser code (HTML and CSS)
- Content Management System implementation
- Training and Support
McCormick IT provides web application development services to the McCormick community. Web applications accept input from users via web forms and report on or automate the tabulation and distribution of that information. These are typically complex projects that are planned and executed in terms of several months.
Applications are constructed using development tools that are supported by the McCormick IT department. These include PHP, Ruby on Rails, and the MySQL database.
Key project components:
- Identification of business needs or improvement opportunities
- Evaluation of existing systems against needs
- Proposal for creation of new, or adaptation of existing system
- Project scheduling (timeline) and resource assignment
The fee is $50 per hour for all services including maintenance.
Arrangements can be made so that the client can maintain static web pages. This fee does not apply to departments that McCormick IT explicitly supports.
In discovery of the project’s needs, the project may see schedule and cost savings in key activities listed above by adopting existing solutions available, such as application systems or visual design templates.
It is important to plan well ahead of important dates when requesting web team services, as multi-week or multi-month projects may need to be scheduled to begin some time after the original request date.
We encourage consideration of project lead time when planning expectations for a project launch. We will make every effort possible to meet requested dates within reasonable limits of all requests we receive.
Requests should be emailed to the Web Development Team. The client then meets with the McCormick IT programmer to set up the goals and the schedule of the project.
The web development team supports and tests software on the latest versions of the following browsers:
- Apple Safari*
- Google Chrome
- Internet Explorer* (more information)
- Mozilla Firefox
If specifications include mobile device support, the following browsers are also tested for functionality:
- Chrome for Android
- Mobile Safari for iOS*
* The latest versions of these browsers are provided as free upgrades either by free operating system updates or automatic updates. Use of old, unsupported and insecure browsers puts your personal computer and the information in systems you use at risk.