The MSIT admission committee takes a balanced look at each applicant, relying on a comprehensive set of documents and a personal interview to determine the best candidates for the program. Applicants are evaluated not only for academic ability, but for career goals and overall “fit” for this unique professional program.
Entry into the MSIT program is granted for fall quarter only, and applications are accepted as early as September 1 of the year prior to the desired start date. Applications for the part-time program will be accepted and reviewed on an ongoing basis while space remains in the program. Each MSIT cohort is limited to 25-30 students, so the MSIT program strongly encourages applicants to submit all application materials as early in the application review window as possible.
Applicants must possess a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution. Applicants with eligible three-year degrees from foreign institutions will also be considered. For the part-time MSIT degree, any major will be considered.
While we do not set a minimum grade point average or a minimum GRE score for part-time applicants, our most successful applicants present with a GPA of 3.0/4.0 or higher, and a minimum quantitative GRE score of 150.
The professional experience of MSIT students plays an important role both inside and outside of the classroom. Part-time students, in particular, are able to put into immediate context the principles and strategies learned in the classroom because of what they have already learned or are currently doing in their careers.
Applicants Holding Technical Degrees: Part-time applicants who hold a bachelor's degree in engineering, computer science or other technical fields must have at least two years of IT-related job experience.
Applicants Holding Non-Technical Degrees: Part-time applicants who hold a bachelor's degree in a non-technical field (i.e. English, music, political science, etc.) must have at least four years of post-college, IT-related job experience.
Applicants must be able to commute to Northwestern University's Evanston campus for Saturday classes.
How to Apply
Please use the following instructions to apply for the Master of Science in Information Technology (MSIT) program:
- Optional but suggested: Register for and attend an MSIT information session to learn more about the program and to ask individual questions; arrange to sit-in on a current MSIT class; arrange to speak with an MSIT alum or current MSIT student.
- Optional but suggested: Email scanned unofficial undergraduate and graduate school transcripts, a resume, and brief MSIT interest statement to the MSIT associate director, Abigayle Shay, for an "overall fit review" and a possible GRE waiver prior to applying (GRE waiver possible for part-time MSIT applicants only).
- Start the MSIT online application in order to be familiar with what is required before submission.
- Complete a personal statement of 500 words or less addressing the questions indicated, and upload this and the latest version of your resume to the on-line application.
- Request that two recommenders complete the required MSIT letter of recommendation form by entering the contact information of the recommenders in the on-line application. Recommenders should be individuals who can ably attest to your professional abilities (i.e. current supervisor(s), former/recent supervisors, clients or customers, team members, colleagues, etc.). An automated email/form will be sent to the recommender once this information is entered. The email will come from email@example.com. You may wish to have each reference add this email to their contact list so that it does not get caught in a SPAM filter.
Important: Please do not submit names and/or email addresses until you have discussed the MSIT program, the time commitment you will be making to the classes/coursework, and your candidacy with each reference.
- Upload a scanned official copy of your undergraduate transcript(s) to the on-line application. As noted below, an official paper transcript directly from your undergraduate university is only required upon MSIT enrollment.
- Take the GRE if required (no alternate test scores accepted). If it has been confirmed by the MSIT program that the GRE is a requirement for your MSIT application, please upload a scanned copy of your ETS GRE score report to the on-line application. As noted below, an official ETS score report directly from ETS is only required upon MSIT enrollment. The MSIT ETS code is 1606.
- Pay $50 application fee.
- Complete applicant areas of the online application and then be sure to click “submit”. Note: Applications can be submitted before recommendation forms have been received.
- Verify with an MSIT staff member that your application and all required materials have been received, either by email or by phone 847-491-5931.
- Once your application has been reviewed by the MSIT admission committee, you may receive a request for an in-person admission interview. Interview invitations are only extended to those applicants being further considered for admission. Not all applicants are invited to interview.
Please note: As mentioned above, scanned official transcript copies and scanned official GRE/TOEFL score reports will be accepted for the initial MSIT application review, and are explicitly asked for in the on-line application form. However, official sealed transcripts directly from undergraduate/graduate universities or official score reports from ETS are required before an admitted MSIT applicant can be registered for classes at Northwestern University. Upon admission and enrollment, official undergraduate transcripts and test score must be sent to the MSIT program address.