Safety and Emergency Information
Jump to a Section
- Emergency Response Plans For McCormick Buildings
- The Technological Institute Alarm System
- Tech / Ford / Cook Hall Evacuation Warden Certification
McCormick and Northwestern University are committed to providing a safe and healthful environment in which teaching, research, and public service can flourish.
It is the responsibility of each individual to be aware of the emergency response procedures for the Technological Institute, Ford Motor Company Engineering Design Center, and Cook Hall.
Please review the emergency response plans and detailed information on the Tech alarm systems and emergency procedures on this page.
Additionally, each academic department has a faculty safety representative and all research labs have a Safety Plan on file with the Office for Research Safety.
- Technological Institute Emergency Response Plan
- Ford Motor Company Engineering Design Center Emergency Response Plan
- Cook Hall Emergency Response Plan
- The Tech fire alarm system is zoned. The fire doors in Tech compartmentalize the building.
- The trigger of an alarm in one zone prompts the automatic closing of all fire doors throughout Tech.
- Fire doors should not be opened.
Tech Alarm Messages
Depending on your location in relation to the zone in crisis you may hear one of two audible messages:
For zones immediately affected by the emergency.
Listen to the evacuation message
For zones surrounding, but not immediately affected by, the emergency.
Listen to the standby message
Occupants in areas not receiving an audible evacuation message do not need to leave the building. When in doubt, use common sense and take appropriate action.
Alarm Testing Message
The Tech alarm system is constantly monitored and tested regularly. When a test is conducted, you may hear the following message:
Alarm System Test Message
A three-second steady tone followed by a live voice message.
Listen to the test message
View the certification test for faculty and staff members interested in being evacuation wardens in Tech, Ford, or Cook Hall.