McCormick School of Engineering, Northwestern University
Shu Q. Liu
Professor of Biomedical Engineering
Ph.D. Bioengineering, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA
M.S. Physiology, Medical School of Neimengu, Huhehot, China
B.M., Medical School of Neimengu, Huhehot, China
Cardiovascular regenerative engineering; hepatic cell mobilization in response to myocardial ischemia; hepatic cell mediation of cardioprotection; pattern formation of vascular smooth muscle cells
- 1993, Best journal paper award, American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- 1994, Melville Medal, American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- 1998, Established investigator Award, American Heart Association
- 2000, Richard Skalak Best Paper Award, the American Society of Mechanical Engineers 2003, Featured articles (2), Association for Eradication of Heart Attack
- 2003, Featured articles (2), Association for Eradication of Heart Attack
Liu SQ. Bioregenerative Engineering: Principles and Applications.John Wiley & Sons, New York, March 2007.
"- A book introducing an emerging scientific discipline, addressing the engineering aspects of regenerative medicine, and covering the foundations, principles, and applications of molecular, cell, and tissue regenerative engineering in major organ systems."
- Liu S. Q. Prevention of focal intimal hyperplasia in rat vein grafts by using a tissue engineering approach. Atherosclerosis 140:365-377, 1998.
- Liu S. Q. Biomechanical basis of vascular tissue engineering. Critical Reviews in Biomedical Engineering 27:75-148, 1999.
- Liu S.Q., M. M. Moore, Glucksberg M.R., Mockros L.F., Grotberg J.B., and Mok A.P. Partial prevention of monocyte and granulocyte activation in experimental vein grafts by using a biomechanical engineering approach. Journal of Biomechanics 32:1165-1175, 1999.
- Liu S. Q. Focal expression of angiotensin II type 1 receptor and smooth muscle cell proliferation in the neointima of experimental vein grafts: relation to eddy blood flow. Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis & Vascular Biology 19: 2630-2639, 1999.
- Li Y. C., Kong J., Wei M., Chen Z.-F., Liu S. Q., and Cao L.-P. 1,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3 is a negative endocrine regulator of the renin-angiotensin system. Journal of Clinical Investigation 110: 229-238, 2002.
- Liu S. Q., R. R. Yan, D. Tang, L. Zhong, Goldman J. Regulation of vascular cell proliferation by mechanical stretch. Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology 1: 17-27, 2002.
- Goldman J., L. Zhong, S. Q. Liu. Degradation of alpha Actin Filaments in Vascular Smooth Muscle Cells in Response to Mechanical Stretch. American Journal of Physiology 284: H1839-H1847, 2003.
- Liu S. Q., Tang D., Tieche C, and Alkema P. Pattern formation of vascular smooth muscle cells subject to non-uniform fluid shear stress: Mediation by cell density gradients. American Journal of Physiology 285:H1071 H1080, 2003
- Liu S. Q, Tieche C., Tang D., and Alkema P. Pattern formation of vascular smooth muscle cells subject to non-uniform fluid shear stress: Role of platelet-derived growth factor beta receptor and Src. American Journal of Physiology 285:H1081-H1090, 2003
- Liu S.Q., Tieche C., and Alkema P.K. Neointima formation on elastic lamina and collagen matrix scaffolds implanted in the rat aorta. Biomaterials 25:1869-1882, 2004.
- Liu S. Q., Alkema P. K., Tieche C., Tefft B. J., Liu D. Z., Sumpio B. E., Caprini J. A., Li Y. C., and Paniagua M. Negative regulation of monocyte adhesion to arterial elastic laminae by signal-regulatory protein alpha and SH2 domain-containing protein tyrosine phosphatase-1. Journal of Biological Chemistry 280:39294 - 39301, 2005.
- Goldman J., Zhong L., and Liu S. Q. Negative regulation of vascular smooth muscle cell migration by blood shear stress. American Journal of Physiology, 292:H928-H938, 2007.
- Liu S. Q., Tefft B.J., Zhang A., Zhang L-Q, and Wu Y.H. Formation of smooth muscle a actin filaments in CD34-positive bone marrow cells in elastic lamina-dominant matrix of arteries. Matrix Biology 27:282-294, 2008
- Kong J, Qiao G, Zhang Z, Liu SQ, and Li YC. Targeting VDR Expression in Juxtaglomerular Cells Suppresses Renin Expression Independently of PTH and Calcium. Kidney International 74:1577-01581, 2008.
- Zhao H., Ren Y., Wu Y.N., Liu S.Q., and Zhang L.-Q. Ultrasonic evaluations of Achilles tendon mechanical properties poststroke. Journal of Applied Physiology 106: 843 849, 2009.
- Liu S.Q., and Wu Y.H. Liver cell-mediated alleviation of acute ischemic myocardial injury. Frontiers in Bioscience (Elite Ed) 2:711-24, 2010.
- Liu S.Q., and Wu Y.H. Cardioprotective effects of hepatic cell-derived factors in myocardial ischemia. Current Topics in Biochemical Research, 2010 in press.
- Wu, Y.-N., Ren, Y., Goldsmith, A., Gaebler-Spira, D., Liu, S. Q., and Zhang, L.-Q., 2009. Characterization of Spasticity in Cerebral Palsy: Dependence of Catch Angle on Velocity. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology 52: 563569, 2010.
- Kong J., Qiao G., Zhang Z., Liu S.Q., and Li Y.C. Transgenic Expression of Human Vitamin D Receptor in Juxtaglomerular Cells Suppresses Renin Expression Independently of Parathyroid Hormone and Calcium. American Journal of Pathology 2010, in press.