McCormick School of Engineering, Northwestern University
Chair of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Walter P. Murphy Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
2145 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL 60208-3109
Ph.D. Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
M.S. Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
B.S. Mathematics Jilin University, Changchun, Jilin, China
Mechanics of materials; micromechanics; fracture mechanics; reliability of microelectronics packaging; wave propagation and nondestructive evaluation
- Outstanding Sustained Technical Contribution Award, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), Components, Packaging, & Manufacturing Technology Society (CPMT), 2008
- Sigma Xi Best Paper Award, 2007
- ASME Electronic and Photonic Packaging Division Outstanding Contribution Award (Engineering Mechanics), 2006
- Changjiang Professorship, Beijing University, 2005-2008
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2001
- Water Arbitration Prize, Institute of Mechanical Engineers, UK, 2001
- Ralph R. Teetor Education Award, SAE, 1996
- Sigma Xi Young Faculty Award, 1994
- Dow Outstanding Young Faculty Award, ASEE, 1993
- Amoco Junior Faculty Teaching Excellence Award, Amoco Foundation, 1992
- Lilly Teaching Fellow, Lilly Endowment, 1992
Significant Professional Service
- Associate Editor, ASME Journal of Electronic Packaging, 2003–present
- Associate Editor, ASME Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, 2010–present
- Associate Editor, Journal of Nondestructive Evaluation, 2011-present
- Qu, J. and M. Cherkaoui, 2006, Fundamentals of Micromechanics of Solids, John Wiley & Sons Inc., Hoboken, NJ.
- Gao, F., Qu, J., and Yao, M., 2010, “Electronic Structure and Contact Resistance at an Open-end CNT and Copper Interface, Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 96, pp. 102108.
- Dingreville, R. and Qu, 2008, “Interfacial Excess Energy, Excess Stress and Excess Strain in Elastic Solids - Planar Interfaces,” J. Mech. Phys. Solids, Vol. 56. pp. 19441954.
- Swaminathan, N. and Qu, J., 2007, "An Electrochemomechanical Theory for Ionic Solids I - Theory," Phil,. Mag., Vol. 87, pp. 1705 - 1721.
- Pei, M. and Qu, J., 2007, “Effect of Lanthanum Doping on the Microstructure of Tin-Silver Solder Alloys, J. Electronic Materials, Vo. 37, pp. 331-338.
- Cui, Z., Sun, Y., Li, J., Qu, J., 2007, “On a Combination Method for the Calculation of Elastic Constants,” Physical Review B, Vol. 75, 214101-1-6.
- Liu, G. and Qu, J., 1998, "Guided Circumferential Waves in a Circular Annulus," J. Appl. Mech., Vol. 65, p.424-430.
- Liu, G. and Qu, J., 1998, "Transient Wave Propagation in a Circular Annulus Subjected to Impulse Excitation on Its Outer Surface," J. Acost. Soc. Am., Vol. 103, p.1210-1220.
- Qu, J., 1993, "Eshelby Tensor for an Elastic Inclusion with Slightly Weakened Interface," J. Appl. Mech., 60, p.1048 - 1050.
- Qu, J., and Bassani, J.L., 1989, "Cracks on Bimaterial and Bicrystal Interfaces," J. Mech. Phys. Solids, 37, p.417-434.